DNA-synthesis with methylated poly(dA-dT) templates: possible role of O4-methylthymine as a pro-mutagenic base.
AbstractThe alternating copolymer poly(dA-dT) has been methylated with either dimethyl sulphate (DMS) or N-methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU) and the levels of the various methylation products determined. In addition to the methylated adenines formed by both methylating agents, MNU resulted also in the formation of 3-methylthymine, O4-methylthymine and phosphotriesters. The methylated polymers have been ution of complementary and non-complementary nucleotides determined. With the DMS methylated template no wrong nucleotide incorporation was detectable, but with the MNU methylated polymer the incorporation of dGMP was observed. The amount of dGMP incorporated correlated with the level of O4-methylthymine in the template over the range of methylation studied. The results indicate that O4-methylthymine is capable of miscoding on a one-to-one basis while the products of DMS methylation (1-, 3- and 7-methyladenines), and also possibly the phosphotriesters, do not lead to any misincorporation.
CitationDNA-synthesis with methylated poly(dA-dT) templates: possible role of O4-methylthymine as a pro-mutagenic base. 1977, 4 (3):761-9 Nucleic Acids Res
JournalNucleic Acids Research
- Formation of O2-methylthymine in poly(dA-dT) on methylation with N-methyl-N-nitrosourea and dimethyl sulphate. Evidence that O2-methylthymine does not miscode during DNA synthesis.
- Authors: Saffhill R, Abbott PJ
- Issue date: 1978 Jun
- DNA synthesis with methylated poly(dC-dG) templates. Evidence for a competitive nature to miscoding by O(6)-methylguanine.
- Authors: Abbott PJ, Saffhill R
- Issue date: 1979 Mar 28
- Escherichia coli polymerase I can use O2-methyldeoxythymidine or O4-methyldeoxythymidine in place of deoxythymidine in primed poly(dA-dT).poly(dA-dT) synthesis.
- Authors: Singer B, Sági J, Kuśmierek JT
- Issue date: 1983 Aug
- D(M6ATP) as a probe of the fidelity of base incorporation into polynucleotides by Escherichia coli DNA polymerase I.
- Authors: Engel JD, von Hippel PH
- Issue date: 1978 Feb 10
- The induction of errors during in vitro DNA synthesis following chloroacetaldehyde-treatment of poly(dA-dT) and poly(dC-dG) templates.
- Authors: Hall JA, Saffhill R, Green T, Hathway DE
- Issue date: 1981