Effects of partial surgical pancreatectomy in rats. I. Pancreatic regeneration.
AbstractThe capacity for pancreatic regeneration in male Wistar rats of average weight 176 g was determined after surgical resection of 50, 70, or 90% of the pancreas. In control animals of this weight pancreatic growth was still taking place but ceased after 2 months. Growth of the residual pancreas in resected animals over this period was greater than in controls and the final weight of the residual pancreas was 21, 32, and 78% greater than that of the corresponding segments in sham-operated animals after 50, 70, and 90% resection respectively. Proliferation of acinar cells was assayed by autoradiographic detection of tritiated thymidine incorporation in controls and after 90% resection. Proliferation of acinar cells in control animals during the first 2 weeks of the experiment was significantly higher than at later times when it fell to very low levels. Proliferation in 90% resected animals was markedly higher than in controls from 2 to 5 days after resection and, together with the limited hypertrophy occurring at this time, adequately accounted for the increase in weight of the residual pancreas during the first 2 weeks. We were unable to explain the increase in pancreatic weight in control or resected animals between 2 weeks and 2 months either in terms of hypertrophy or hyperplasia of acinar cells.
CitationEffects of partial surgical pancreatectomy in rats. I. Pancreatic regeneration. 1977, 72 (3):469-73 Gastroenterology
- NTP Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of Coumarin (CAS No. 91-64-5) in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice (Gavage Studies).
- Authors: National Toxicology Program .
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Effects of partial pancreatectomy on liver regeneration in rats.
- Authors: Tang TX, Hashimoto T, Chao LY, Itoh K, Manabe T
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Modification of pancreatic carcinogenesis in the hamster model. 2. The effect of partial pancreatectomy.
- Authors: Pour PM, Donnelly T, Stepan K, Muffly K
- Issue date: 1983 Jan
- Proteomic analysis of differential protein expression in early process of pancreatic regeneration in pancreatectomized rats.
- Authors: Yang M, Liu W, Wang CY, Liu T, Zhou F, Tao J, Wang Y, Li MT
- Issue date: 2006 May
- [Effect of simultaneous partial pancreatectomy on liver regeneration in domestic chickens].
- Authors: Dzhivanian KA
- Issue date: 1985 Jun