Experience in implementing the Mark III Rad 8 system for radiotherapy dose computations.
AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRad 8 is a small, in-house computer system for calculating radiotherapy dose distributions, both for multiple field and rotational external beam techniques and for interstitial and intracavitary redium treatments. Implementing the system has its difficulties, particularly in obtaining the necessary beam profile information. Several approaches have been tried and finally a separate profile generator program was written. Other difficulties encountered with beam data storage were overcome by making minor changes to the system programs. The various calculation techniques have been evaluated, and in general found to be satisfactory, and suitable factors to be used in the inhomogeneity correction for 4 MV X rays have been calculated based on previously published measured data. An option to change beam weightings exists and this can be used to renormalize dose distributions to give percentage isodose curves relative to the prescribed tumour dose. If this procedure is followed dose homogeneity over the target volume can readily be assessed, and the exposure times may easily be calculated from the new weightings. Certain shortcomings in the rotating beam program and the radium program may easily lead to error if extreme care is not exercised.
CitationExperience in implementing the Mark III Rad 8 system for radiotherapy dose computations. 1975, 48 (573):732-8 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Implications of computed tomography for inhomogeneity corrections in photon beam dose calculations.
- Authors: Sontag MR, Battista JJ, Bronskill MJ, Cunningham JR
- Issue date: 1977 Jul
- A comprehensive radiotherapy planning system implemented in Fortran on a small interactive computer.
- Authors: Redpath AT, Vickery BL, Duncan W
- Issue date: 1977 Jan
- Implementation of the Philips treatment planning system for use in radiation teletherapy.
- Authors: Dale RG
- Issue date: 1978 Aug
- Computer generated isodose curves for high energy x-ray machines. Experimental verification and time-saving strategies.
- Authors: Lane K, Bloch P, Davis LW
- Issue date: 1974 Aug
- Computer generation of high-energy x-ray dose distributions.
- Authors: Schulz RJ, McKiernan F, Agostinelli AG
- Issue date: 1976 Jan-Feb