The interaction of dianhydrogalactitol with DNA in cultured Yoshida sarcoma cells.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing alkaline sucrose gradient sedimentation centrifugation it was found that treatment of Yoshida sarcoma cells in culture for 1 h with increasing concentrations of dianhydrogalactitol (DAG) enhanced the sedimentation rate of DNA in a dose-dependent manner. There was no difference between the amount of protein which co-sedimented with DNA released from treated and untreated cells. When DNA was extracted from the cells using a p-amino-salicylate-phenol mixture, the protein content of DNA seemed not to be affected by DAG. The possibility that DAG could form interstrand cross-linking in cellular DNA was suggested from renaturation studies. The appearance of a fast sedimenting DNA in the alkaline sucrose gradient and the evidence for a cross-linked DNA detected by renaturation technique, only appeared later than 6 h after treatment. A similar delayed effect on the depression in the rate of DNA synthesis was also observed. These data suggest that the inhibition of DNA synthesis may be related to the delayed formation of DNA interstrand cross-linked.
CitationThe interaction of dianhydrogalactitol with DNA in cultured Yoshida sarcoma cells. 1978, 22 (1):99-107 Chem. Biol. Interact.
- [Effect of 1,2:5,6-dianhydrogalactitol and 1,2:5,6-dianhydro-3,4-diacetylgalactitol on DNA synthesis in the cells of melanoma B16, bone marrow, small intestine epithelium, spleen and liver of mice].
- Authors: Sokolova IS, Elekes I, Otvös L, Gorbacheva LB
- Issue date: 1984 Sep
- In vivo study on alkylation site in DNA by the bifunctional dianhydrogalactitol.
- Authors: Institoris E
- Issue date: 1981 May
- Perturbed cell kinetics of 9L rat brain tumor cells following dianhydrogalactitol.
- Authors: Nomura K, Hoshino T, Deen DF, Knebel KD
- Issue date: 1978 Dec
- Dominance of resistance to the alkylating agent 1,2:5,6-dianhydrogalactitol in P388 mouse lymphoma hybrid cells.
- Authors: Pályi I, Bence J, Szikla K, Hullán L
- Issue date: 1989
- Cytokinetics of a human neuroblastoma cell line following treatment with dianhydrogalactitol.
- Authors: Sordillo PP, Andreeff M, Helson L, Steinmetz J, Melamed MR
- Issue date: 1985