Tolerance of rodent tails to necrosis after "daily" fractionated X rays or D-T neutrons.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Department of Physics, and Department of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester 20
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe rat tail has been used as a model system to study the necrosis of an organized tissue following fractionated doses of collimated D-T neutrons or 290 kV X rays. RBE values for tail tolerance - 10 per cent of tails necrosing after the early skin reactions - rise from about 1-7 (single doses) to about 3-1 (16 fractions in 22 days). Neutron tolerance doses are almost independent of fractionation from 2 to 16 fractions. The tissues at risk are shown to be rather hypoxic. Early skin reaction levels can be used to predict the fraction of tails that will necrose. Early peak reactions for a given fraction of necrotic tails were slightly higher for neutrons than for X rays, and this difference was consistent for all the dose fractionation schedules employed.
CitationTolerance of rodent tails to necrosis after "daily" fractionated X rays or D-T neutrons. 1976, 49 (584):690-9 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Re-irradiation of rat tails to necrosis at six months after treatment with a "tolerance" dose of x rays or neutrons.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Rosenberg I, Greene D, Stewart JG
- Issue date: 1977 Aug
- The relationship between o.e.r., r.b.e. and number of fractions for X-ray- or neutron-induced skin damage.
- Authors: Andreozzi U, Hornsey S, Myers R
- Issue date: 1979 Jul
- The RBE for mouse skin irradiated with 3-MeV neutrons: single and fractionated doses.
- Authors: Joiner MC, Maughan RL, Fowler JF, Denekamp J
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- Radionecrosis of normal tissue: studies on mouse tails.
- Authors: Hendry JH
- Issue date: 1978 Jan
- The relative biological effectiveness of fractionated doses of fast neutrons (42 MeVd----Be) for normal tissues in the pig. I. Effects on the epidermis and dermal vascular/connective tissues.
- Authors: Hopewell JW, Barnes DW, Robbins ME, Sansom JM, Knowles JF, van den Aardweg GJ
- Issue date: 1988 Oct