Factors affecting the growth of Chinese hamster cells in HAT selection media.
AbstractFactors affecting the efficiency of selection of "revertants" of salvage pathway mutants in media containing amethopterin have been examined. Our V79 Chinese hamster cell line was found to require a significantly higher level of thymidine for optimal growth in such media than has been reported for other cell lines. Hypoxanthine (but not glycine) was also required for reversal of amethopterin toxicity, but levels did not differ significantly from those reported elsewhere. Growth in HAT was also dependent on plating density and serum batch. Our modification (VHAT) was compared with published HAT recipies in back selection reconstruction experiments. A sharp fall in EOR (efficiency of recovery) of wild type cells from mixtures with mutants at plating densities greater than 3500 cells/cm2 (10(5) cells/6 cm dish) was observed for VHAT. EOR with other HAT recipes was lower still, and was affected also by the particular mutant used in the mixture. EMS induced "revertants" were isolated from three 8AZr mutants by plating in VHAT. All revertants were however amethopterin resistant, they were also 8AZ resistant and the mobility of residual HGPRT (as measured by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis) was similar to that of their 8AZr parents i.e. dissimilar from that in wild type. The modal chromosome number of V79 wild type cells was 21. No significant deviation from this mode was detected in any of the mutant lines examined. The data indicate that the recovery of colonies in HAT from 8AZr mutants does not necessarily indicate that a back mutation in the structural gene for HGPRT has occurred. Thus, the frequency of HAT+ colonies cannot be taken as a direct indication of reversion frequencies.
CitationFactors affecting the growth of Chinese hamster cells in HAT selection media. 1976, 35 (3):445-64 Mutat Res
- Recovery of V79 cell clones with different phenotypes in aminopterin- or azaserine-containing media used for the selection of HGPRT revertants.
- Authors: Randazzo R, Bonatti S, Luccarini G, Abbondandolo A
- Issue date: 1984 May
- Gene amplification as a mechanism of reversion at the HPRT locus in V79 Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Zownir O, Fuscoe JC, Fenwick R, Morrow J
- Issue date: 1984 Jun
- Characteristics of revertants induced by EMS and u.v. light from a 6-thioguanine resistant HGPRT deficient V79 Chinese hamster cell line.
- Authors: Hodgkiss RJ, Fox M
- Issue date: 1980 Feb
- Requirement for cell dispersion prior to selection of induced azaguanine-resistant colonies of Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Myhr BC, Dipalo JA
- Issue date: 1975 May
- Reversion in expression of hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyl transferase following cell hybridization.
- Authors: Bakay B, Nyhan WL, Croce CM, Koprowski H
- Issue date: 1975 May