Studies on liver chromatin RNA from rats treated with alkylating agents.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have examined firstly some properties of rat liver chromatin RNA and nuclear sap RNA and secondly the incorporation of [3H]orotic acid into the RNA in vivo in control rats and in rats treated with the alkylating agents, N,N-dimethylnitrosamine or methyl methane sulphonate. Half or more of the nuclear RNA is associated with the chromatin and consists mainly of two species: one is labelled and probably comprises "nascent" RNA, and the other is unlabelled and of lower molecular weight. Neither species is attributable to cytoplasmic contamination. Studies with added polylysine with RNAase A and with DNAase I suggest that both species are ironically bound to protein and that the labelled species is not associated with the part of the chromatin DNA most readily degraded by DNAase I. After dimethylnitrosamine treatment, the amount of unlabelled RNA remains constant but the amount of labelled RNA increases after a low dose, and decreases after a high dose. After methyl methane sulphonate treatment, no change occurs in either species. These results can be explained by changes in extent of association of the DNA and protein within the chromatin complex.
CitationStudies on liver chromatin RNA from rats treated with alkylating agents. 1976, 454 (2):362-74 Biochim Biophys Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Inhibition of rat liver RNA polymerases by action of the methylating agents dimethylnitrosamine in vivo and methyl methanesulfonate in vitro.
- Authors: Herzog J, Farber JL
- Issue date: 1976 May
- Methylation of DNAase-digestible DNA and of RNA in chromatin from rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Galbraith AI, Barker M, Itzhaki RF
- Issue date: 1979 Feb 27
- Physicochemical alterations in the conformation of rat liver chromatin induced by carcinogens in vivo.
- Authors: Nicolini C, Ramanathan R, Kendall F, Murphy J, Parodi S, Sarma DS
- Issue date: 1976 May
- Effects of dimethylnitrosamine on RNA synthesis and metabolism in mouse liver.
- Authors: Garyfallides S, Kyrtopoulos SA, Sekeris CE
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Studies on liver chromatin from rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Cooper HK, Itzhaki RF
- Issue date: 1975 Oct 15