A review of thirty-three cases of ovarian dysgerminoma emphasising the role of radiotherapy.
AuthorsLucraft, Helen H
AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe records of 33 cases of ovarian dysgerminoma seen in Manchester between 1943 and 1977 are reviewed, including details of presenting features, age distribution, treatment and survival. The five-year survival rate is 85%. All the Stage I cases and all patients under the age of 20 years at presentation have survived. The cases of the five patients who died are analysed in detail. From this series and review of other series it is concluded that young patients with unilateral Stage I desease who have had a total resection should be carefully followed and radiotherapy reserved for recurrent disease. This does not appear to affect their high chance of cure and enable patients who remain disease-free to retain one functioning ovary. All other patients should have surgery followed by radiotherapy to the whole abdomen. Analysis of the five deaths suggested that, even in Stage III disease a surgical attempt should be made to remove the bulk of the tumour and that the abdominal radiotherapy dose should not be less than 3000 rad in 20 treatments in 28 days.
CitationA review of thirty-three cases of ovarian dysgerminoma emphasising the role of radiotherapy. 1979, 30 (5):585-9 Clin Radiol
- Dysgerminoma. The Radiumhemmet series 1927-1984.
- Authors: Björkholm E, Lundell M, Gyftodimos A, Silfverswärd C
- Issue date: 1990 Jan 1
- Dysgerminoma of the ovary: a report on 29 patients.
- Authors: Santoni R, Cionini L, D'Elia F, Scarselli GF, Branconi F, Savino L
- Issue date: 1987 Mar
- Dysgerminoma of the ovary: radiation therapy for recurrence and metastases.
- Authors: Afridi MA, Vongtama V, Tsukada Y, Piver MS
- Issue date: 1976 Sep 15
- [Dysgerminoma of the ovary: a clinical retrospective analysis of 60 cases].
- Authors: Zhang R, Hong W, Li S
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Dysgerminoma of the ovary: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Reddy KB, Ahuja VK, Kannan V, Vallikad E, Anantha N
- Issue date: 1997 Aug