Primary pulmonary osteosarcoma: a report of 4 cases and a review of the literature.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, United Kingdom, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimary pulmonary osteosarcoma is very rare. Most cases are secondary deposits from primaries arising in the appendicular skeleton. Four cases of primary osteogenic sarcoma of the lung are described and the literature reviewed for previously reported cases. These pulmonary tumors occur in patients who are in their fourth to seventh decades, that is, an older age group than their primary bone equivalent. There is a slight male predominance. There appears to be a propensity for the left lung, especially the left upper lobe. The clinical presentation is similar to primary (epithelial) lung cancer. Differentiation from pleomorphic carcinomas and other sarcomas is discussed. We know of no predisposing factor(s) in our cases for the development of this tumor.
CitationPrimary pulmonary osteosarcoma: a report of 4 cases and a review of the literature. 2011, 19 (2):225-9 Int J Surg Pathol
JournalInternational Journal of Surgical Pathology
- A clinico-morphological study of 95 cases of sarcomas with metastases to the lungs.
- Authors: Krishnamoorthy N, Desai SS, Rekhi B, Jambhekar NA
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Sep
- Special AT-rich sequence-binding protein 2 (SATB2) expression is sensitive but may not be specific for osteosarcoma as compared with other high-grade primary bone sarcomas.
- Authors: Davis JL, Horvai AE
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- A phase I/II dose escalation and activity study of intravenous injections of OCaP1 for subjects with refractory osteosarcoma metastatic to lung.
- Authors: Benjamin R, Helman L, Meyers P, Reaman G
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 10
- Osteogenic sarcoma (osteosarcoma) in the elderly: tumor delineation and predisposing conditions.
- Authors: Sergi C, Zwerschke W
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Radionuclide detection of primary pulmonary osteogenic sarcoma: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Petersen M
- Issue date: 1990 Jun