Methylation of DNAase-digestible DNA and of RNA in chromatin from rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
AbstractAfter injecting rats with di[14C]methylnitrosamine we have prepared liver chromatin and have examined firstly, the methylation level of the DNAase I-degradable fraction of the DNA and secondly, the level of methylation and the stability of methylated sites in chromatin RNA. Our results show that the level of 7-methylguanine in the degradable DNA is about 1.3 times that of whole DNA; therefore in the 20% or so of the DNA which is undegradable by DNAase I, the level must be very low or zero. Experiments using chromatin from rats injected with unlabelled dimethylnitrosamine plus [3H]thymidine show that the specific activity is similar in the DNAase I degradable and undegradable fractions, suggesting that there is no preferential repair in the latter region. In chromatin RNA, the level of 7-methylguanine is higher than that of whole DNA and decreases fairly rapidly within 30 h after dimethylnitrosamine treatment. Our results indicate that this decrease is due to some type of excision or repair process rather than to normal turnover.
CitationMethylation of DNAase-digestible DNA and of RNA in chromatin from rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine. 1979, 561 (2):334-44 Biochim Biophys Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Distribution of 7-methylguanine and of replication sites in the different kinetic classes of DNA from rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Galbraith AI, Chapleo MR, Itzhaki RF
- Issue date: 1978 Sep
- Nonrandom nature of in vivo methylation of dimethylnitrosamine and the subsequent removal of methylated products from rat liver chromatin DNA.
- Authors: Ramanathan R, Rajalakshmi S, Sarma DS, Farber E
- Issue date: 1976 Jun
- Studies on liver chromatin from rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Cooper HK, Itzhaki RF
- Issue date: 1975 Oct 15
- In vivo distribution of dimethylnitrosamine metabolites in mouse liver and their binding to micrococcal nuclease sensitive and resistant chromatin.
- Authors: Klaude M, von der Decken A
- Issue date: 1985
- Heterogeneous distribution of DNA alkylation products in rat liver chromatin after in vivo administration of N,N-di[14C]methylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Cooper HK, Margison GP, O'Connor PJ, Itzhaki RF
- Issue date: 1975 Dec