A prospective randomized trial of vagotomy in chronic duodenal ulceration.
Palmer, Michael K
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a prospective, randomized trial, 76 patients with duodenal ulceration treated by truncal vagotomy and pyloroplasty were compared with 77 patients who underwent highly selective vagotomy. A total of 149 patients was followed up for from 1 to 4 years, the average follow-up period being 2.6 years. There was no operative mortality and no significant difference in postoperative morbidity between the two groups. The incidence of recurrent ulceration was greater after highly selective vagotomy, but this difference was not statistically significant. The clinical results were comparable in each group, and although the incidence of diarrhoea and dumping was greater after vagotomy and pyloroplasty, this difference was not statistically significant.
CitationA prospective randomized trial of vagotomy in chronic duodenal ulceration. 1979, 66 (3):145-8 Br J Surg
JournalThe British Journal of Surgery
- Highly selective vagotomy or truncal vagotomy and pyloroplasty for chronic duodenal ulceration: a randomized, prospective clinical study.
- Authors: Stoddard CJ, Vassilakis JS, Duthie HL
- Issue date: 1978 Nov
- A prospective randomized trial of vagotomy in chronic duodenal ulceration: 4-year follow-up.
- Authors: Koffman CG, Hay DJ, Ganguli PC, Elder JB, Gillespie IE, Mantoudis SM, Tweedle DE, Schofield PF, Palmer M
- Issue date: 1983 Jun
- Randomized trial of truncal vagotomy with either pyloroplasty or pyloric dilatation in the surgical management of chronic duodenal ulcer.
- Authors: Pringle R, Irving AD, Longrigg JN, Wisbey M
- Issue date: 1983 Aug
- [Proximal gastric vagotomy compared with selective vagotomy and pyloroplasty in duodenal ulcer. Results from a controlled randomized study 6 to 9 years after the operation].
- Authors: Dejgaard A, Madsen P, Thisted B
- Issue date: 1980 May 26
- A controlled, randomized trial of highly selective vagotomy versus selective vagotomy and pyloroplasty in the treatment of duodenal ulcer.
- Authors: Kronborg O, Madsen P
- Issue date: 1975 Apr