Different mechanisms in the attachment of cells to native and denatured collagen.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe attachment of cells to collagen has been reported previously to require the presence of serum and the particular serum protein involved in this process, variously known as CIG, CAP or fibronectin, has been isolated. This conclusion that cell attachment to collagen requires serum (or more precisely, fibronectin) is based on experiments measuring the kinetics of cell attachment to films of collagen. We have measured the kinetics of attachment of HeLa and attachment to films of collagen-containing substrata under a variety of experimental conditions and present evidence that the serum-dependent mechanism of cell attachment described by others is actually only the case for films of denatured collagen, while cell attachment to native collagen fibres occurs by a different, serum-independent, mechanism. The possible relevance of these findings to cell-matrix interactions in vivo is discussed.
CitationDifferent mechanisms in the attachment of cells to native and denatured collagen. 1979, 38:267-81 J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of cell science
- The effects of EGTA and trypsin on the serum requirements for cell attachment to collagens.
- Authors: Schor SL
- Issue date: 1979 Dec
- The effects of fibronectin on the adhesion and migration of chinese hamster ovary cells on collagen substrata.
- Authors: Schor SL, Schor AM, Bazill GW
- Issue date: 1981 Jun
- Initial adhesion of murine fibroblasts to collagen and fibronectin occurs by two mechanisms.
- Authors: Bauvois B, Roth S
- Issue date: 1987 Oct
- Multiple attachment mechanisms of corneal epithelial cells to a polymer--cells can attach in the absence of exogenous adhesion proteins through a mechanism that requires microtubules.
- Authors: Evans MD, Steele JG
- Issue date: 1997 May 25
- Heparin inhibits the attachment and growth of Balb/c-3T3 fibroblasts on collagen substrata.
- Authors: San Antonio JD, Lander AD, Wright TC, Karnovsky MJ
- Issue date: 1992 Jan