Ultrastructural morphology of three-dimensional colonies of cells derived from a hepatocellular carcinoma.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCultured hepatocellular carcinoma cells were studied during anchorage-independent growth in semi solid medium (Methocel). The regular occurrence of mitotic figures both at the surface and within the colonies precludes the possibility of such colonies being formed by re-aggregation. The estimated population doubling time in the three-dimensional (3-D) colonies is consistent with those two-dimensional of (2-D) colonies. Structures resembling bile canaliculi were observed between the closely opposed membranes from the well packed adjacent cells. Cell surface and ultrastructural features of the colonies and individual cells are presented and comparisons made with 2-D growth of normal and malignant liver cells in vitro. The formation of 3-D colonies may not only be an assay for transformed cells but also for predicting the type of tumors produced by re-innoculation of the in vitro transformed cells.
CitationUltrastructural morphology of three-dimensional colonies of cells derived from a hepatocellular carcinoma. 1979, 95 (3):225-32 J Cancer Res Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
- Morphological characterization of transformed colonies in rat tracheal epithelial cell cultures exposed to carcinogen.
- Authors: Kitamura H, Fitzgerald DJ, Li LA, Barrett JC, Nettesheim P
- Issue date: 1986 Sep
- Ultrastructural and cytochemical study of the early stages of liver colonization by transplanted neoplastic hepatocytes.
- Authors: Bernaert D, Mosselmans R, Penasse W, Reith A, Laishes BA, Wanson JC
- Issue date: 1985 Sep
- Phenotypic variance among cells isolated from spontaneous mouse mammary tumors in primary suspension culture.
- Authors: Soule HD, Maloney T, McGrath CM
- Issue date: 1981 Mar
- Growth in culture and tumorigenicity after transfection with the ras oncogene of liver epithelial cells from carcinogen-treated rats.
- Authors: Braun L, Goyette M, Yaswen P, Thompson NL, Fausto N
- Issue date: 1987 Aug 1
- Identification of transformed rat liver epithelial cells in culture.
- Authors: Iype PT, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1979 Jan