Human tumor-lymphocyte interaction in vitro. VI. Specificity of primary and secondary autologous lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity.
AbstractA T-cell-enriched lymphocyte subset of samples from 15 tumor patients was tested for primary cytotoxicity against autologous tumor cell preparations and against 1-3 different allogeneic tumor cell preparations from biopsy material. Allogeneic cytotoxicity occurred in only 1 of 10 patients with autologous reactivity. The lymphocytes of 14 patients were cultured with autologous cells from biopsy material for 6 days. These lymphocytes killed autologous targets, but only 1 patient's lymphocytes were cytotoxic against 1 of the 4 allogeneic tumors tested. Cocultivation with allogeneic cells from biopsy specimens generated cytotoxicity toward the sensitizing allogeneic cells in 3 of 9 test combinations. In 2 of 3 instances the effectors were also active against the autologous tumor cells. Cytotoxicity in primary and secondary tests occurred thus only rarely against allogeneic targets. This indicated either the presence of individual tumor-related antigens on the cells from biopsy material or reflected the histocompatibility restriction of T-cell-mediated cytotoxicity.
CitationHuman tumor-lymphocyte interaction in vitro. VI. Specificity of primary and secondary autologous lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity. 1979, 62 (6):1407-13 J Natl Cancer Inst
JournalJournal of the National Cancer Institute
- Efficient generation of autologous peripheral blood-derived cytotoxic T lymphocytes against poorly immunogenic human tumors using recombinant CD80-adenovirus together with interleukin 12 and interleukin 2.
- Authors: Mogi S, Ebata T, Setoguchi Y, Fujime M, Heike Y, Kohsaka T, Yagita H, Okumura K, Azuma M
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Lymphocytes infiltrating human ovarian tumors. I. Role of Leu-19 (NKH1)-positive recombinant IL-2-activated cultures of lymphocytes infiltrating human ovarian tumors.
- Authors: Heo DS, Whiteside TL, Kanbour A, Herberman RB
- Issue date: 1988 Jun 1
- Clonal and frequency analyses of tumor-infiltrating T lymphocytes from human solid tumors.
- Authors: Miescher S, Whiteside TL, Moretta L, von Fliedner V
- Issue date: 1987 Jun 1
- Characterization of human autotumor-reactive T-cell clones obtained from tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in liver metastasis of gastric carcinoma.
- Authors: Shimizu Y, Weidmann E, Iwatsuki S, Herberman RB, Whiteside TL
- Issue date: 1991 Nov 15
- Expansion of autorecognitive cytotoxic effectors in human cancer by T cell growth factor (Interleukin 2)1.
- Authors: Vose BM
- Issue date: 1981