Endocrine morbidity in adults treated with cerebral irradiation for brain tumours during childhood.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypothalamic-pituitary function was assessed in 20 adult subjects who were treated with cerebral irradiation for brain tumours during childhood between 8 and 32 years earlier. Nine patients showed impaired growth hormone (GH) responses to hypoglycaemia, of whom, 7 are below the third centile for standing height. All GH deficient subjects received more than 2950 rads to the hypothalamic-pituitary axis with a maximum dose of approximately 5000 rads being used in one case. Three subjects have an elevated basal serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level and 2 of these show an exaggerated TSH response to thyrotrophin releasing hormone (TRH) but no patient was clinically or biochemically hypothyroid. The rest of hypothalamic-pituitary function was essentially normal. This study shows that multiple pituitary hormone deficiencies do no develop with time when the radiation dose is below a critical level. Thus it appears that there is a gradation of radiation damage to the hypothalamic-pituitary axis which is dependent primarily on the dose received rather than the time interval after radiotherapy.
CitationEndocrine morbidity in adults treated with cerebral irradiation for brain tumours during childhood. 1977, 84 (4):673-80 Acta Endocrinol
- Long-term effects of allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (BMT) on pituitary, gonad, thyroid and adrenal function in adults.
- Authors: Kauppila M, Koskinen P, Irjala K, Remes K, Viikari J
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Pituitary hormone responses to hypothalamic releasing hormones in acromegaly.
- Authors: Cantalamessa L, Reschini E, Catania A, Giustina G
- Issue date: 1976 Dec
- Serum thyrotrophin, prolactin and growth hormone, response to TRH during oestrogen treatment.
- Authors: Rutlin E, Haug E, Torjesen PA
- Issue date: 1977 Jan
- Radiation and hypothalamic-pituitary function.
- Authors: Littley MD, Shalet SM, Beardwell CG
- Issue date: 1990 Mar
- Hypopituitarism following external radiotherapy for pituitary tumours in adults.
- Authors: Littley MD, Shalet SM, Beardwell CG, Ahmed SR, Applegate G, Sutton ML
- Issue date: 1989 Feb