Studies on the in vitro culture of murine fetal thymus: effect of factors promoting epithelial growth.
AbstractFourteen-day fetal thymus was grown in organ culture under conditions reportedly optimizing epidermal/epithelial cell growth. While the fibroblastoid component is stimulated by epidermal growth factor and fibroblastoid growth factor, embryonic thymic epithelial cells do not grow significantly under any conditions, although they persist in organ explants. The major cell types cultured are fibroblastoid and macrophage. In organ explant cultures, epithelial cells appear to be oriented by the presence of a cell coat demonstrated by electron microscopy. This coat is absent from certain ciliated cells consistently found in deeper regions of the explant. Using amniotic fluid as a growth factor, almost pure cultures of thymic macrophages can be obtained.
CitationStudies on the in vitro culture of murine fetal thymus: effect of factors promoting epithelial growth. 1981, 1 (3):129-39 Am J Reprod Immunol
JournalAmerican Journal of Reproductive Immunology
- Effects of fibroblast growth factor and epidermal growth factor on the rate of growth of amniotic fluid-derived cells.
- Authors: Gospodarowicz D, Moran JS, Owashi ND
- Issue date: 1977 Apr
- In vitro bone marrow cell migration to supernatants prepared from thymic epithelial cell cultures.
- Authors: Taubenberger JK, Haar JL
- Issue date: 1987
- Thymic epithelium in vitro. IV. Regulation of growth and mediator production by epidermal growth factor.
- Authors: Nieburgs AC, Korn JH, Picciano PT, Cohen S
- Issue date: 1987 Sep
- Effect of catecholamines on lymphopoiesis in fetal mouse thymic explants.
- Authors: Singh U
- Issue date: 1979 Sep
- FSP1(+) fibroblast subpopulation is essential for the maintenance and regeneration of medullary thymic epithelial cells.
- Authors: Sun L, Sun C, Liang Z, Li H, Chen L, Luo H, Zhang H, Ding P, Sun X, Qin Z, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 8