Thyroid dysfunction following external irradiation to the neck for Hodgkin's disease in childhood.
AffiliationDepartments of Medicine, Paediatric Oncologgy and Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThyroid function was studied in 32 patients who had received neck irradiation during childhood for Hodgkin's disease. All except one patient received a dose of 2500-3000 rad over a period of 19-25 days. In 12 patients lymphangiography was performed. Clinically all patients were considered euthyroid. One had a thyroid swelling which was cystic in nature. Five (16%) patients were biochemically hypothyroid, 17 (53%) were euthyroid with an elevated basal serum TSH concentration and a further seven (22%) were euthyroid with a normal basal serum TSH level but an augmented thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) response to thyrotrophin-releasing hormone (TRH). Only three (9%) patients had completely normal thyroid function tests. The basal serum TSH concentration and the peak serum TSH response to TRH were significantly greater in the patients who received neck irradiation and lymphangiography than in those who received neck irradiation alone. In addition the free thyroxine index decreased significantly as the time interval between treatment and study increased in the lymphangiography group. These data demonstrate that the normal thyroid gland is vulnerable to the damaging effects of external irradiation, and that the combination of neck irradiation and lymphangiography is more likely to result in thyroid dysfunction than is neck irradiation alone. Furthermore, in view of the deterioration in thyroid function with time, periodic clinical and biochemical assessment of thyroid function is clearly indicated.
CitationThyroid dysfunction following external irradiation to the neck for Hodgkin's disease in childhood. 1977, 28 (5):511-5 Clin Radiol
- Serum thyroglobulin after mantle irradiation for Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Holt G, Galligan J, Winship J, Roeser P, Mortimer R
- Issue date: 1983 Jun
- Thyroid nodular disease after radiotherapy to the neck for childhood Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Shafford EA, Kingston JE, Healy JC, Webb JA, Plowman PN, Reznek RH
- Issue date: 1999 May
- Thyroid function in pediatric patients after neck irradiation for Hodgkin disease.
- Authors: Green DM, Brecher ML, Yakar D, Blumenson LE, Lindsay AN, Voorhess ML, MacGillivray M, Freeman AI
- Issue date: 1980
- Hypothyroidism and Graves' disease after mantle irradiation: a follow up study.
- Authors: Mortimer RH, Hill GE, Galligan JP, Bransden AI, Tyack SA, Roeser HP
- Issue date: 1986 Jun
- Thyroid abnormalities following neck irradiation for Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Nelson DF, Reddy KV, O'Mara RE, Rubin P
- Issue date: 1978 Dec