Endocrine function following the treatment of acute leukemia in childhood.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPituitary function has been studied in 25 children after treatment of acute leukemia. Impaired growth hormone responses both to hypoglycemia and to Bovril were found in 11 subjects. Elevated basal thyroid-stimulating hormone levels were seen in five children, three of whom had an augmented TSH response to thyrotrophin-releasing hormone. Radiation-induced damage to the hypothalamic-pituitary region is thought to be the cause of these abnormalities in growth hormone and in secretion of TSH. The peak cortisol response to hypoglycaemia is significantly decreased in the group of subjects who received the higher dose of cranial radiation therapy, but no individual child is hypothyroid or shows impaired adrenal function, clinically or biochemically. Three prepubertal girls studied have biochemical evidence of ovarian failure following the use of combination chemotherapy.
CitationEndocrine function following the treatment of acute leukemia in childhood. 1977, 90 (6):920-3 J Pediatr
JournalThe Journal of Pediatrics
- Endocrine morbidity in adults treated with cerebral irradiation for brain tumours during childhood.
- Authors: Shalet SM, Beardwell CG, MacFarlane IA, Jones PH, Pearson D
- Issue date: 1977 Apr
- Long-term effects of allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (BMT) on pituitary, gonad, thyroid and adrenal function in adults.
- Authors: Kauppila M, Koskinen P, Irjala K, Remes K, Viikari J
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Basal stimulated prolactin levels in childhood.
- Authors: Franks S, Brook CG
- Issue date: 1976
- Hypothalamic-pituitary function in growth hormone-deficient patients with pituitary stalk transection.
- Authors: Kikuchi K, Fujisawa I, Momoi T, Yamanaka C, Kaji M, Nakano Y, Konishi J, Mikawa H, Sudo M
- Issue date: 1988 Oct
- Rapid sequential intravenous administration of four hypothalamic releasing hormones as a combined anterior pituitary function test in normal subjects.
- Authors: Sheldon WR Jr, DeBold CR, Evans WS, DeCherney GS, Jackson RV, Island DP, Thorner MO, Orth DN
- Issue date: 1985 Apr