Collagen vascular diseases and enhanced radiotherapy-induced normal tissue effects--a case report and a review of published studies.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCollagen vascular diseases (CVD) are a group of chronic, autoimmune conditions that can affect multiple organ systems. The mainstay of treatment involves the use of immunosuppressants. CVDs and immunosuppression increase the risk of these patients developing malignancy. The mechanisms through which these patients develop CVDs show similarities to those for radiotherapy late effects, especially fibrosis (via transforming growth factor β). Radiotherapy may in fact cause an active state to develop from a quiescent state of CVD, or exacerbate a pre-existing CVD. CVDs are said to be associated with increased normal tissue toxicity after radiotherapy. Here we present a case report of a patient with a long history of systemic lupus erythematosus and oropharyngeal carcinoma, treated with synchronous chemoradiotherapy. We also review published studies and formulate some guidance on the radiotherapy management of these patients.
CitationCollagen vascular diseases and enhanced radiotherapy-induced normal tissue effects--a case report and a review of published studies. 2011, 23 (2):73-8 Clin Oncol
- Breast-conserving therapy in the setting of collagen vascular disease.
- Authors: Chen AM, Obedian E, Haffty BG
- Issue date: 2001 Nov-Dec
- Toxicity of radiotherapy in patients with collagen vascular disease.
- Authors: Lin A, Abu-Isa E, Griffith KA, Ben-Josef E
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 1
- Collagen vascular diseases and radiation therapy: a critical review.
- Authors: De Naeyer B, De Meerleer G, Braems S, Vakaet L, Huys J
- Issue date: 1999 Jul 15
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for the treatment of oropharyngeal carcinoma: the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience.
- Authors: de Arruda FF, Puri DR, Zhung J, Narayana A, Wolden S, Hunt M, Stambuk H, Pfister D, Kraus D, Shaha A, Shah J, Lee NY
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 1
- Irradiation in the setting of collagen vascular disease: acute and late complications.
- Authors: Morris MM, Powell SN
- Issue date: 1997 Jul