The dose-dependence of the split-dose response of marrow colony-forming units (CFU-S): similarity to other tissues.
AuthorsHendry, Jolyon H
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe split-dose effect for survival of colony-forming units (CFU-S) in mouse bone-marrow increases with increasing total dose. This is compatible with the shape of the survival curve, since detailed measurements at doses lower than 200 rad show the presence of a marked initial slope, followed by a tendency towards an increased sensitivity at higher doses. The magnitude of the increase in the split-dose effect is quantitatively similar to values observed by others at comparable low doses in skin, intestine and lung, as deduced from multifraction experiments. It is concluded that these cells do not differ markedly, as has been generally believed, from many other cell types in the ability to demonstrate split-dose effects, when the doses used in the experiments are strictly comparable.
CitationThe dose-dependence of the split-dose response of marrow colony-forming units (CFU-S): similarity to other tissues. 1979, 36 (6):631-7 Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology and Related Studies in Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine
- Effects of low level radiation upon the hematopoietic stem cell: implications for leukemogenesis.
- Authors: Cronkite EP, Bond VP, Carsten AL, Inoue T, Miller ME, Bullis JE
- Issue date: 1987
- CFU-S repopulation after low-dose whole-body radiation.
- Authors: Schofield R, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1982 Mar
- Gamma-ray-induced cell killing and chromosome abnormalities in the bone marrow of p53-deficient mice.
- Authors: Wang L, Cui Y, Lord BI, Roberts SA, Potten CS, Hendry JH, Scott D
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Radiosensitivity and recovery of two murine haemopoietic progenitor cell populations following gamma rays and neutrons.
- Authors: Millard RE, Blackett NM
- Issue date: 1981
- Effect of short-term splitting of gamma-ray doses on changes in haemopoietic stem cell number in bone marrow and on mortality of whole-body irradiated mice.
- Authors: Vávrová J, Petýrek P
- Issue date: 1988