The orientational freedom of molecular probes. The orientation factor in intramolecular energy transfer.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe measurement of the efficiency of Förster long-range resonance energy transfer between donor (D) and acceptor (A) luminophores attached to the same macromolecular substrate can be used to estimate the D-A separation, R. If the D and A transition dipoles sample all orientations with respect to the substrate (the isotropic condition) in a time short compared with the transfer time (the dynamic averaging condition), the average orientation factor less than K2 greater than is 2/3. If the isotropic condition is not satisfied but the dynamic averaging condition is, upper and lower bounds for less than K2 greater than, and thus R, may be obtained from observed D and A depolarizations, and these limits may be further narrowed if the transfer depolarization is also known. This paper offers experimental protocols for obtaining this reorientational information and presents contour plots of less than K2 greater than min and less than K2 greater than max as functions of generally observable depolarizations. This permits an uncertainty to be assigned to the determined value of R. The details of the D and A reoreintational process need not be known, but the orientational distributions are assumed to have at least approximate axial symmetry with respect to a stationary substrate. Average depolarization factors are derived for various orientational distribution functions that demonstrate the effects of various mechanisms for reorientation of the luminophores. It is shown that in general the static averaging regime does not lend itself to determinations of R.
CitationThe orientational freedom of molecular probes. The orientation factor in intramolecular energy transfer. 1979, 26 (2):161-93 Biophys J
- Statistical interpretation of fluorescence energy transfer measurements in macromolecular systems.
- Authors: Hillel Z, Wu CW
- Issue date: 1976 May 18
- A revisitation of the Förster energy transfer near a metallic spherical nanoparticle: (1) Efficiency enhancement or reduction? (2) The control of the Förster radius of the unbounded medium. (3) The impact of the local density of states.
- Authors: Gonzaga-Galeana JA, Zurita-Sánchez JR
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 28
- Distance and orientation dependence of excitation energy transfer: from molecular systems to metal nanoparticles.
- Authors: Saini S, Srinivas G, Bagchi B
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 19
- Intramolecular energy transfer and molecular conformation.
- Authors: Dale RE, Eisinger J
- Issue date: 1976 Feb
- Analysis of resonance energy transfer in model membranes: role of orientational effects.
- Authors: Domanov YA, Gorbenko GP
- Issue date: 2002 Oct 16