The structure of the human thyroid in relation to ageing and focal thyroiditis.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Withington Hospital, Manchester M20
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractQuantitative studies of non-nodular thyroid glands without focal thyroiditis obtained from consecutive autopsies on women aged over 20 yr showed a decrease in colloid content and an increase in stromal tissues with advancing age. When focal lymphocytic thyroiditis was present these changes were increased. This observation supports the theory that low-grade auto-immune processes can mimic or accelerate the ageing process but does not indicate that they initiate it.
CitationThe structure of the human thyroid in relation to ageing and focal thyroiditis. 1980, 130 (2):99-104 J Pathol
JournalJournal of Pathology
- Focal lymphocytic thyroiditis in Southampton.
- Authors: Mitchell JD, Kirkham N, Machin D
- Issue date: 1984 Dec
- The thyroid gland in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from the Texas coast of the Gulf of Mexico: normal structure and pathological changes.
- Authors: Cowan DF, Tajima Y
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- [Histometric volume determination in aging human thyroid glands and possible errors of this method].
- Authors: Rother P
- Issue date: 1979
- Lymphocytic infiltration in focal thyroiditis: an ultrastructural case study.
- Authors: Bay BH, Sit KH, Pang AS
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- [Relationship between solid cell nests and focal lymphocytic thyroiditis].
- Authors: Prod'hom G, Hedinger C
- Issue date: 1985