AuthorsLajtha, L G
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo features are known about acute myeloid leukaemia in man: (1) the long time-scale from identifiable leukaemogenic stimulus and onset of the clinical disease and (2) the successful induction and duration of long clinical remission. These indicate three probabilities: First, that the target cell for leukaemogenetic insult (in AML) is the pluripotent stem cell; second, that the leukaemic stem line is a small minority population within the total leukaemic cell mass; third, when the leukaemic stem line is not greatly exceeding the normal stem cell numbers, its proliferation may be still under partial control.
CitationWhich are the leukaemic cells? 1981, 7 (1):45-62 Blood Cells
- Generation time of leukaemic blast progenitor cells.
- Authors: Minden M, Major P, Griffin J, Wu A, Kufe D
- Issue date: 1983 Nov
- Lack of expression of the chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan neuron-glial antigen 2 on candidate stem cell populations in paediatric acute myeloid leukaemia/abn(11q23) and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia/t(4;11).
- Authors: Neudenberger J, Hotfilder M, Rosemann A, Langebrake C, Reinhardt D, Pieters R, Schrauder A, Schrappe M, Röttgers S, Harbott J, Vormoor J
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Transformation from committed progenitor to leukaemia stem cell initiated by MLL-AF9.
- Authors: Krivtsov AV, Twomey D, Feng Z, Stubbs MC, Wang Y, Faber J, Levine JE, Wang J, Hahn WC, Gilliland DG, Golub TR, Armstrong SA
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 17
- A cell initiating human acute myeloid leukaemia after transplantation into SCID mice.
- Authors: Lapidot T, Sirard C, Vormoor J, Murdoch B, Hoang T, Caceres-Cortes J, Minden M, Paterson B, Caligiuri MA, Dick JE
- Issue date: 1994 Feb 17
- Relapse after allogeneic BMT for chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) may be sustained by a small number of leukemic 'stem cells': a hypothesis.
- Authors: Frassoni F, Podestà M, Piaggio G, Pitto A, Figari O, Soracco M, Lint M, Fugazza G, Sessarego M, Bacigalupo A
- Issue date: 1999 Sep