Markedly elevated levels of an endogenous sarc protein in a hemopoietic precursor cell line.
AffiliationLaboratory of Tumor Virus Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20205.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe src gene product of Harvey murine sarcoma virus is a 21,000-dalton guanine nucleotide-binding protein. We have recently shown that a wide variety of vertebrate cell strains and cell lines express much lower levels of an endogenous p21 immunologically related to the Harvey murine sarcoma virus-coded p21. In this report, we have examined the levels of endogenous p21 in a unique hemopoietic precursor cell line, 416B, which was originally described as a continuous cell line of a hemopoietic stem cell, CFU-S. The currently available 416B cells express markedly elevated levels of endogenous p21. The level of endogenous p21 in the 416B cells is 5- to 10-fold higher than the level of p21 in Harvey murine sarcoma virus-infected cells and more than 100 times higher than the level of endogenous p21 that we have observed in a variety of other fresh or cultured cells. The results indicate that marked regulation of the levels of an endogenous sarc gene product can occur, and speculation about a possible role for endogenous p21 in normal hemopoietic stem cells is discussed.
CitationMarkedly elevated levels of an endogenous sarc protein in a hemopoietic precursor cell line. 1981, 1 (1):66-74 Mol Cell Biol
JournalMolecular and Cellular Biology
- Monoclonal antibodies to the p21 products of the transforming gene of Harvey murine sarcoma virus and of the cellular ras gene family.
- Authors: Furth ME, Davis LJ, Fleurdelys B, Scolnick EM
- Issue date: 1982 Jul
- In vitro retroviral transfer of ras genes to single hemopoietic progenitors.
- Authors: Pharr PN, Ogawa M, Hankins WD
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Mouse cells contain two distinct ras gene mRNA species that can be translated into a p21 onc protein.
- Authors: Ellis RW, DeFeo D, Furth ME, Scolnick EM
- Issue date: 1982 Nov
- Development and analysis of a transformation-defective mutant of Harvey murine sarcoma tk virus and its gene product.
- Authors: Weeks MO, Hager GL, Lowe R, Scolnick EM
- Issue date: 1985 May
- Photoaffinity labeling with GTP of viral p21 ras protein expressed in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Stein RB, Robinson PS, Scolnick EM
- Issue date: 1984 May