Photophysical properties of aminoethylpsoralen in presence and absence of DNA.
AffiliationLaboratoire de Biophysique, Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, 61, rue Buffon, 75005 Paris France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSome properties of the first triplet and singlet excited states of 4'-aminomethyl-4,5',8-trimethylpsoralen have been determined by laser flash photolysis and spectrofluorimetry. In water the lowest triplet has an intrinsic lifetime of 100 microseconds and is quenched by the molecule in its ground state with a rate constant kQ = 10(9) M-1 . s-1 and by thymine with a rate cconstant kq = 2 . 10(8) M-1 . x-1. Addition of 0.5 mg/ml of calf thymus DNA causes the disappearance of the aminomethylpsoralen triplet absorption immediately after the laser flash excitation and extinguishes the fluorescence emission of a 6 . 10(-5) M solution of aminomethylpsoralen. These experiments show that the first singlet excited state which is rapidly deactivated in the presence of DNA could be the precursor of the first pyrimidine photoadduct.
CitationPhotophysical properties of aminoethylpsoralen in presence and absence of DNA. 1980, 607 (2):379-83 Biochim Biophys Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- A laser flash photolysis study of the reactivities of the triplet states of 8-methoxypsoralen and 4,5',8-trimethylpsoralen with nucleic acid bases in solution.
- Authors: Beaumont PC, Parsons BJ, Phillips GO, Allen JC
- Issue date: 1979 Apr 26
- Influence of the triplet excited state on the photobleaching kinetics of fluorescein in microscopy.
- Authors: Song L, Varma CA, Verhoeven JW, Tanke HJ
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Fluorescence studies on the interaction of furocoumarins with DNA in the dark.
- Authors: Gupta M, Ali R
- Issue date: 1984 May
- 4'-Aminomethyl-4,5',8-trimethylpsoralen photochemistry: the effect of concentration and UVA fluence on photoadduct formation in poly(dA-dT) and calf thymus DNA.
- Authors: Oroskar A, Olack G, Peak MJ, Gasparro FP
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- Synthesis and properties of novel psoralen derivatives.
- Authors: Goldenberg M, Welsh J, Haas R, Rideout DC, Cantor CR
- Issue date: 1988 Sep 6