The regulation of hemopoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures. II. Stimulation and inhibition of stem cell proliferation.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe isolation of a DNA synthesis inhibitor (NBME fraction IV) and stimulator (RBME fraction III) specific for the hemopoietic stem cell (CFU-s) from freshly isolated normal adult and regenerating murine bone marrow, respectively, has been well documented. We have utilized long-term liquid bone marrow cultures in a further analysis of the role of these factors in the regulation of CFU-s proliferation. Our results show that shortly after feeding, at a time when the cultured CFU-s are actively proliferating, high levels of the hemopoietic stem cell proliferation stimulator fraction III can be isolated from the culture medium. In contrast, the presence of essentially noncycling CFU-s found in cultures fed 8-10 days previously correlates with high levels of the hemopoietic stem cell inhibitor fraction IV. These results suggest that a certain balance between these factors determines CFU-s proliferation in the long-term cultures. In support of this, DNA synthesis in actively cycling CFU-s in the long-term cultures is inhibited for at least 3 days by the addition of excess NBME fraction IV (inhibitor). Furthermore, DNA synthesis in noncycling cultured CFU-s is stimulated for at least 5 days by the addition of RBME fraction III (stimulator).
CitationThe regulation of hemopoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures. II. Stimulation and inhibition of stem cell proliferation. 1980, 55 (6):931-6 Blood
- Proliferation of purified murine hemopoietic stem cells in serum-free cultures stimulated with purified stem-cell-activating factor.
- Authors: Migliaccio AR, Visser JW
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Marrow repopulating cells, but not CFU-S, establish long-term in vitro hemopoiesis on a marrow-derived stromal layer.
- Authors: van der Sluijs JP, de Jong JP, Brons NH, Ploemacher RE
- Issue date: 1990 Sep
- Regulation of haemopoietic stem cell proliferation in long term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Dexter TM, Wright EG, Krizsa F, Lajtha LG
- Issue date: 1977 Dec
- Hemopoiesis in spleen and bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Keller GM, Johnson GR, Phillips RA
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- A stimulator of mouse stem cell proliferation produced by human regenerating bone marrow.
- Authors: Oishi H, Katsuno M, Umemura T, Nishimura J, Motomura S, Ibayashi H
- Issue date: 1987