Stimulation by a low-molecular-weight angiogenic factor of capillary endothelial cells in culture.
AffiliationClinical Research Laboratories and the Cancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA low-mol.-wt compound isolated from rat Walker 256 carcinoma and found to induce neovascularization in vivo was tested on cultures of cow brain-derived endothelial cells (CBEC) growing on plastic and collagen substrates. This factor had a mitogenic effect on CBEC cultured on native collagen gels and for this reason has been called "endothelial-cell-stimulating angiogenesis factor" (ESAF). CBEC growing on plastic culture dishes or denatured collagen films were not stimulated by ESAF. The mitogenic effect of ESAF was equally apparent when added to cells already attached to the native collagen substrate or when the collagen substrate was pre-incubated with ESAF before plating the cells. A floating collagen gel pre-incubated with ESAF in cultures of CBEC growing on plastic dishes did not stimulate cell growth. Our data indicate that the substrate influences cell behaviour and that CBEC only respond to ESAF when growing on a native collagen substrate.
CitationStimulation by a low-molecular-weight angiogenic factor of capillary endothelial cells in culture. 1980, 41 (5):790-9 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Purified tumour angiogenesis factor enhances proliferation of capillary, but not aortic, endothelial cells in vitro.
- Authors: Keegan A, Hill C, Kumar S, Phillips P, Schor A, Weiss J
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- Effects of a purified low molecular weight tumour angiogenesis factor on cell morphology of bovine brain capillary endothelial cells growing on a native collagen substratum.
- Authors: Erroi AL, Kumar PM, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1986 Sep-Oct
- Importance of a collagen substratum for stimulation of capillary endothelial cell proliferation by tumour angiogenesis factor.
- Authors: Schor AM, Schor SL, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1979 Aug
- A synergistic effect on microvessel cell proliferation between basic fibroblast growth factor (FGFb) and endothelial cell stimulating angiogenesis factor (ESAF).
- Authors: Odedra R, Weiss JB
- Issue date: 1987 Mar 30
- Epiphyseal growth plate cartilage and chondrocytes in mineralising cultures produce a low molecular mass angiogenic procollagenase activator.
- Authors: Brown RA, Taylor C, McLaughlin B, McFarland CD, Weiss JB, Ali SY
- Issue date: 1987 Nov