The incorporation of O4-methylthymidine into V79A cell DNA when present in the cell culture medium.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhen Chinese hamster V79A cells are cultured in the presence of O4-methyl-[6-3H]-thymidine the incorporation of this modified nucleoside into newly synthesised DNA is observed. The radioactivity incorporated has been identified as O4-methylthymidine by digesting the DNA to 3'-monophosphates with spleen phosphodiesterase followed by treatment with alkaline phosphatase to give O4-methylthymidine as the major radioactive product. The radioactivity associated with the latter co-chromatographs with authentic O4-methylthymidine in several chromatographic systems. Once incorporated the modified nucleoside appears to be rapidly removed from the DNA with half-life of 2-3 h. There is no evidence of demethylation of the O4-methylthymidine to give thymidine, in either the culture medium or within the cells once incorporated into DNA. Although the levels of incorporation observed are low, (being only 125 O4-methylthymidine residues per 10(8) thymidine residues at a modified nucleoside concentration of 10(-5) M), they may still be relevant as similar levels are apparently produced in the DNA of the cultured cells on treatment with biologically significant doses of carcinogenic alkylating agents.
CitationThe incorporation of O4-methylthymidine into V79A cell DNA when present in the cell culture medium. 1980, 1 (6):487-93 Carcinogenesis
- The effects of methylated thymidines upon cultures of V79 cells and the mechanism of incorporation of O4-methylthymidine into their DNA.
- Authors: Brennand J, Saffhill R, Fox M
- Issue date: 1982
- Extent of formation of O4-methylthymidine in calf thymus DNA methylated by N-methyl-N-nitrosourea and lack of repair of this product by rat liver O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Dolan ME, Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1985 Nov
- Repair of O6-methylguanine and O4-methylthymidine in F344 rat liver following treatment with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine and O6-benzylguanine.
- Authors: O'Toole SM, Pegg AE, Swenberg JA
- Issue date: 1993 Sep 1
- Reaction products from N-methyl-N-nitrosourea and deoxyribonucleic acid containing thymidine residues. Synthesis and identification of a new methylation product, O4-methylthymidine.
- Authors: Lawley PD, Orr DJ, Shah SA, Farmer PB, Jarman M
- Issue date: 1973 Sep
- Incorporation of 4'-C-aminomethyl-2'-O-methylthymidine into DNA by thermophilic DNA polymerases.
- Authors: Nawale GN, Gore KR, Höbartner C, Pradeepkumar PI
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 7