Selective enhancement of human mononuclear leucocyte cytotoxic function by interferon.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe influence of type I interferon (IFN) on leucocyte-mediated antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) has been examined in a system in which differential alloantibody sensitization of human erythrocyte target cells allows discrimination between lymphocyte and monocyte effector function. ADCC mediated by unfractionated mononuclear leucocyte populations was regularly enhanced by interferon pretreatment over a range of concentrations of the sensitizing antibody. The capacity of IFN-augmented reactivity was, however, removed with adherent cell depletion, suggesting that lymphocyte (K-cell) effectors are not modulated by IFN, even though such populations demonstrate IFN-potentiated natural killer (NK) reactivity against K562. These results suggest that monocyte and NK cell function but not K-cell activity was influenced by interferon.
CitationSelective enhancement of human mononuclear leucocyte cytotoxic function by interferon. 1981, 13 (4):375-81 Scand J Immunol
JournalScandinavian Journal of Immunology
- Enhancement of human ADCC with interferon.
- Authors: Warren R, Kalamasz D, Storb R
- Issue date: 1982 Oct
- Interferon enhanced human natural killer and antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxic activity.
- Authors: Attallah AM, Folks T
- Issue date: 1979
- Natural cytotoxicity of human blood lymphocytes and monocytes and their cytotoxic factors: effect of interferon on target cell susceptibility.
- Authors: Uchida A, Vánky F, Klein E
- Issue date: 1985 Nov
- Natural killer cell activity in the rat. VI. Characterization of rat large granular lymphocytes as effector cells in natural killer and antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxic activities.
- Authors: Fukui H, Overton WR, Herberman RB, Reynolds CW
- Issue date: 1987 Feb
- Augmentation of human K-cell activity with interferon.
- Authors: Ortaldo JR, Pestka S, Slease RB, Rubinstein M, Herberman RB
- Issue date: 1980