Selective enhancement of human mononuclear leucocyte cytotoxic function by interferon.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe influence of type I interferon (IFN) on leucocyte-mediated antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) has been examined in a system in which differential alloantibody sensitization of human erythrocyte target cells allows discrimination between lymphocyte and monocyte effector function. ADCC mediated by unfractionated mononuclear leucocyte populations was regularly enhanced by interferon pretreatment over a range of concentrations of the sensitizing antibody. The capacity of IFN-augmented reactivity was, however, removed with adherent cell depletion, suggesting that lymphocyte (K-cell) effectors are not modulated by IFN, even though such populations demonstrate IFN-potentiated natural killer (NK) reactivity against K562. These results suggest that monocyte and NK cell function but not K-cell activity was influenced by interferon.
CitationSelective enhancement of human mononuclear leucocyte cytotoxic function by interferon. 1981, 13 (4):375-81 Scand J Immunol
JournalScandinavian Journal of Immunology
- Interferon enhanced human natural killer and antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxic activity.
- Authors: Attallah AM, Folks T
- Issue date: 1979
- Augmentation of human K-cell activity with interferon.
- Authors: Ortaldo JR, Pestka S, Slease RB, Rubinstein M, Herberman RB
- Issue date: 1980
- Enhancement of natural killer and antibody-dependent cytolytic activities of the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of HIV-infected patients by recombinant IL-15.
- Authors: Loubeau M, Ahmad A, Toma E, Menezes J
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 1
- Monocyte and NK cell cytotoxic activity in human adherent cell preparations: discriminating effects of interferon and lactoferrin.
- Authors: Horwitz DA, Bakke AC, Abo W, Nishiya K
- Issue date: 1984 May
- Natural killer cell function in trisomy-21 (Down's syndrome).
- Authors: Nurmi T, Huttunen K, Lassila O, Henttonen M, Säkkinen A, Linna SL, Tiilikainen A
- Issue date: 1982 Mar