Radiotherapy following primary surgery for carcinoma of uterine cervix.
AuthorsLucraft, Helen H
AffiliationRadiotherapy Department, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEighty-two patients given salvage radiotherapy for post-operative residual or recurrent carcinoma of uterine cervix are retrospectively reviewed. Nine of the 10 patients with definitive residual disease compared to seven of the 44 patients with suspected residual disease died of their malignancy. The indications for radiotherapy in the latter group are discussed. It seems likely, but cannot be proved, that a high proportion of the survivors were salvaged by radiotherapy. Thirteen of the 28 patients treated for recurrence were alive and disease free at five years. Radiotherapy techniques are described. The addition of brachytherapy to radical teletherapy to whole pelvis seems to improve local control rates. In favourable cases with only suspected residual disease at the vaginal vault brachytherapy alone is probably sufficient.
CitationRadiotherapy following primary surgery for carcinoma of uterine cervix. 1981, 32 (3):347-53 Clin Radiol
- Therapeutic outcome and prognostic factors in the radiotherapy of recurrences of cervical carcinoma following surgery.
- Authors: Hille A, Weiss E, Hess CF
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Analysis of recurrence of squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix after definitive radiation therapy alone: patterns of recurrence, latent periods, and prognosis.
- Authors: Sakurai H, Mitsuhashi N, Takahashi M, Akimoto T, Muramatsu H, Ishikawa H, Imai R, Yamakawa M, Hasegawa M, Niibe H
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 1
- [Postoperative radiotherapy in patients with invasive uterine cervix cancer treated previously with simple hysterectomy. Results from the Hospital de Oncología, Centro Médico Nacional SXXI. ].
- Authors: Huerta Bahena J, Labastida Almendaro S, Cortez Arroyo H, Calva A
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Radical hysterectomy for recurrent carcinoma of the uterine cervix after radiotherapy.
- Authors: Coleman RL, Keeney ED, Freedman RS, Burke TW, Eifel PJ, Rutledge FN
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Radiotherapy for centrally recurrent cervical cancer of the vaginal stump following hysterectomy.
- Authors: Ito H, Shigematsu N, Kawada T, Kubo A, Isobe K, Hara R, Yasuda S, Aruga T, Ogata H
- Issue date: 1997 Nov