Treatment of advanced head and neck carcinoma with synchronous irradiation and methotrexate.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy and Clinical Pharmacology Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty-four patients with advanced head and neck cancer were treated by synchronous radiotherapy and methotrexate (MTX) (100 mg/m2). Complete resolution of disease was obtained in 18 patients, the median remission of patients being 17 months. In general, treatment was well tolerated, although mucosal reaction was prolonged in 50% of patients. Drug-induced hematological toxicity was observed in six patients (18%) and one patient died. As a result of these findings, a random clinical trial to compare X-ray therapy with X-ray therapy and MTX in advanced head and neck cancer has been commenced.
CitationTreatment of advanced head and neck carcinoma with synchronous irradiation and methotrexate. 1981, 65 Suppl 1:145-8 Cancer Treat Rep
JournalCancer Treatment Reports
- Treatment of advanced head and neck cancer using synchronous therapy with methotrexate and irradiation.
- Authors: Pointon RC, Askill C, Hunter RD, Wilkinson PM
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- The evaluation of amifostine for mucosal protection in patients with advanced loco-regional squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck (SCCHN) treated with concurrent weekly carboplatin, paclitaxel, and daily radiotherapy (RT).
- Authors: Suntharalingam M, Jaboin J, Taylor R, Wolf J, Banglore M, Van Echo D, Ord R
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Combined polychemotherapy and radiotherapy in advanced inoperable squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Rosso R, Merlano M, Scarpati D, Grimaldi A, Bonelli L, Barbieri A
- Issue date: 1985 Nov-Dec
- Phase II study of methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the upper respiratory or alimentary passages of the head and neck.
- Authors: Okuno SH, Mailliard JA, Suman VJ, Edmonson JH, Creagan ET, Nair S, Levitt R, Kugler JW
- Issue date: 2002 Apr 15
- A prospective randomized trial of methotrexate versus cisplatin in the treatment of recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Hong WK, Schaefer S, Issell B, Cummings C, Luedke D, Bromer R, Fofonoff S, D'Aoust J, Shapshay S, Welch J, Levin E, Vincent M, Vaughan C, Strong S
- Issue date: 1983 Jul 15