AffiliationClinical Research Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester 20, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracts were made from Walker 256 carcinoma, spontaneous rat mammary adenocarcinoma, Wilms' tumour, human neuroblastoma and human haemangioma. Chromatography of the extracts on Sephadex G-100 yielded four fractions, A, B, C and D. Injection of fractions B and C resulted in the growth of new capillaries in the subcutaneous fascia or rats. Controls, e.g. similar extracts of rat liver or human kidney, did not induce neovascularisation. The endothelium of newly-formed blood vessels contained many mitotic figures. A limitation of this method is that it is qualitative only. In order to develop a quantitative in vitro assay for a tumour angiogenesis factor (TAF), short-term primary cultures were initiated from adult rat brain white matter, as cells from such cultures were shown to be vascular in origin. Addition of fractions containing TAF (B and C) which were active in vivo failed to stimulate thymidine uptake by the cells. The possible reasons for this failure and the therapeutic potential of TAF in cancer control are discussed.
CitationTumour angiogenesis factor (TAF) in human and animal tumours. 1976, 17 (5):549-58 Int J Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Quantitation of angiogenesis factor in bovine retina and tumour extracts by means of radioimmunoassay.
- Authors: Shahabuddin S, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1983 May
- Detection of tumor angiogenesis factor in adenocarcinoma of kidney.
- Authors: Bard RH, Mydlo JH, Freed SZ
- Issue date: 1986 May
- Purified tumour angiogenesis factor enhances proliferation of capillary, but not aortic, endothelial cells in vitro.
- Authors: Keegan A, Hill C, Kumar S, Phillips P, Schor A, Weiss J
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- A study of angiogenesis factors from five different sources using a radioimmunoassay.
- Authors: Shahabuddin S, Kumar S, West D, Arnold F
- Issue date: 1985 Jan 15
- Importance of a collagen substratum for stimulation of capillary endothelial cell proliferation by tumour angiogenesis factor.
- Authors: Schor AM, Schor SL, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1979 Aug