Effect of low dose ionizing radiation on the murine pericryptal fibroblast sheath: radiation damage in a mesenchymal system in vivo.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of low dose ionizing radiation from a variety of sources on the murine small intestinal and colonic pericryptal fibroblast sheath (PCFS) has been investigated. Ultrastructural and light microscopic changes seen within 3 hours after radiation resembles the mode of cell death known as apoptosis. The apoptotic index (AI) was shown to rise steadily for 4 hours after irradiation, and then to return to control levels by 10 hours. 137Cs gamma-irradiation over a range of doses from 0-803 cGy caused an increase in AI from control values of 1-2 per cent to a plateau level of approximately 8.5 per cent for doses above 40 cGy. Investigation of the response of the PCFS to doses of 137Cs and 60Co gamma-irradiation and X-irradiation below 40 cGy demonstrated a steady increase with dose in AI. The survival curve for the radiosensitive subpopulation susceptible to death through apoptosis as a consequence of exposure to non-acute doses of radiation has a D0 of 10.6 cGy and an extrapolation number of 2.3.
CitationEffect of low dose ionizing radiation on the murine pericryptal fibroblast sheath: radiation damage in a mesenchymal system in vivo. 1981, 39 (2):175-83 Int. J. Radiat. Biol. Relat. Stud. Phys. Chem. Med.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology and Related Studies in Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine
- Cell death (apoptosis) in the mouse small intestine after low doses: effects of dose-rate, 14.7 MeV neutrons, and 600 MeV (maximum energy) neutrons.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Potten CS, Chadwick C, Bianchi M
- Issue date: 1982 Dec
- Establishment of a biological indicator for the radiation and safety of diagnostic ultrasound using apoptosis.
- Authors: Oh H, Lee SE, Yang JA, Chung CY, Ryu SY, Huh MD, Jo SK, Son CH, Kim SH
- Issue date: 2000 Mar-Apr
- Description and basic cell kinetics of the murine pericryptal fibroblast sheath.
- Authors: Neal JV, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1981 Jan
- Differential survival of murine small and large intestinal crypts following ionizing radiation.
- Authors: Cai WB, Roberts SA, Bowley E, Hendry JH, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Cell death (apoptosis) in mouse intestine after continuous irradiation with gamma rays and with beta rays from tritiated water.
- Authors: Ijiri K
- Issue date: 1989 Apr