Lysis of alloantibody-sensitized human erythrocytes by peripheral blood mononuclear cells: heterogeneity of effector populations.
AbstractCell-mediated haemolysis of human erythrocytes (HRBC) mediated by sensitizing alloantibodies of two specificities was studied using the 51Cr release assay. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) were found capable fo lysing HRBC of phenotype ARh(D) + ve sensitized with either anti-D or "natural" anti-A antibodies. The characteristics of the effector population, however, were dependent upon the sensitizing antibody. HRBC sensitized with anti-A were lysed by a radioresistant, silica- and carrageenan-sensitive population which could be selectively removed by adherence. Sensitization with rhesus antibody induced cytotoxicity by a population which was radiosensitive and relatively unaffected by removal of adherent cells or by treatment with silica or carrageenan. The results demonstrate that the antigen-antibody interaction, rather than the target cell type, determines which effector cells participate in antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) against human red cells.
CitationLysis of alloantibody-sensitized human erythrocytes by peripheral blood mononuclear cells: heterogeneity of effector populations. 1981, 5 (1):41-6 J Clin Lab Immunol
JournalJournal of Clinical & Laboratory Immunology
- Antibody dependent cell mediated cytotoxicity against anti-D sensitized human erythrocytes. Influence of various effector cells and enzyme treatment of the target cells.
- Authors: Samdal HH, Michaelsen TE, Heier HE, Nordhagen R
- Issue date: 1988 Mar
- Characteristics of the metabolic response of human monocytes to red cells sensitized with anti-D alloantibodies.
- Authors: Sagone AL Jr, Klassen DK, Decker MA, Clark L, Metz EN
- Issue date: 1981 Sep
- Antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity: heterogeneity of effector cells in human peripheral blood.
- Authors: MacDonald HR, Bonnard GD, Sordat B, Zawodnik SA
- Issue date: 1975 Sep
- K cell mediated haemolysis: influence of large numbers of unsensitized cells on the antibody-dependent lysis of anti-D-sensitized erythrocytes by human lymphocytes.
- Authors: Bakács T, Kimber I, Ringwald G, Moore M
- Issue date: 1984 Jul
- Hemolysis due to human antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity. Lysis of erythrocytes treated with anti-D serum.
- Authors: Yust I, Goldsher N, Greenfeld R, Rabinovitz M
- Issue date: 1980 Mar