Prolonged remission in florid Cushing's syndrome following metyrapone treatment.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, and Department of Medicine, Royal Lancaster Infirmary
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo patients presenting with diabetes mellitus and hypokalaemia resulting from markedly increased ACTH and cortisol secretion are described. Neither patient showed any evidence of a tumour and both responded dramatically to treatment with metyrapone in that all abnormal clinical features disappeared, ACTH concentrations returned to normal and both patients showed prolonged remission after metyrapone treatment was stopped. One patient relapsed after a severe viral illness and the administration of dexamethasone and cortisone. It is suggested that these cases may represent an unusual form of Cushing's syndrome in which ACTH secretion is stimulated by increasing concentrations of cortisol. When these are reduced by metyrapone administration ACTH secretion falls in parallel and prolonged remission of disease may result.
CitationProlonged remission in florid Cushing's syndrome following metyrapone treatment. 1981, 14 (5):485-92 Clin Endocrinol
- Short and long-term responses to metyrapone in the medical management of 91 patients with Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Verhelst JA, Trainer PJ, Howlett TA, Perry L, Rees LH, Grossman AB, Wass JA, Besser GM
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- Metyrapone pre-treated inferior petrosal sinus sampling in the differential diagnosis of ACTH-dependent Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Cuneo RC, Lee W, Harper J, Mitchell K, Ward G, Atkinson RL, Salkield I, Cameron DP
- Issue date: 1997 May
- [Adrenostatic treatment of ACTH-dependent Cushing syndrome using metyrapone and aminoglutethimide].
- Authors: Reincke M, Allolio B, Jaursch-Hancke C, Kaulen D, Winkelmann W
- Issue date: 1987 Oct 2
- Cyclic Cushing's syndrome combined with cortisol suppressible, dexamethasone non-suppressible ACTH secretion: a new variant of Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Schweikert HU, Fehm HL, Fahlbusch R, Martin R, Kolloch R, Higuchi M, Krück F
- Issue date: 1985 Nov
- ACTH-independent Cushing's syndrome in pregnancy with spontaneous resolution after delivery: control of the hypercortisolism with metyrapone.
- Authors: Close CF, Mann MC, Watts JF, Taylor KG
- Issue date: 1993 Sep