Growth hormone deficiency after treatment of acute leukaemia in children.
AffiliationDepartments of Medicine, Paediatrics, and Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrowth hormone (GH) secretion was studied in 15 children at various times after treatment for acute lymphatic leukaemia. Impaired GH responses both to hypoglycaemia and to Bovril were found in 4 children. 13 of the children had been given prophylactic cranial irradiation of either 2500 rads in 10 fractions or 2400 rads in 20 fractions. The reduction in GH responses in those given the former dose was highly significant compared with the reduction in those given the latter dose. However, other differences between the two groups included the length of time since cranial irradiation and the chemotherapy used. The main cause of the GH deficiency is not yet clear, but we conclude that it may occur in children treated successfully for acute lymphatic leukaemia.
CitationGrowth hormone deficiency after treatment of acute leukaemia in children. 1976, 51 (7):489-93 Arch Dis Child
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Effect of growth hormone-releasing factor on growth hormone release in children with radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency.
- Authors: Lustig RH, Schriock EA, Kaplan SL, Grumbach MM
- Issue date: 1985 Aug
- A prospective study of the development of growth hormone deficiency in children given cranial irradiation, and its relation to statural growth.
- Authors: Brauner R, Rappaport R, Prevot C, Czernichow P, Zucker JM, Bataini P, Lemerle J, Sarrazin D, Guyda HJ
- Issue date: 1989 Feb
- The effects of growth hormone therapy in children with radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency.
- Authors: Shalet SM, Whitehead E, Chapman AJ, Beardwell CG
- Issue date: 1981 Jan
- [Pituitary function and growth in children under treatment for leukemia (author's transl)].
- Authors: Schuler D, Gács G, Révész T, Koós R, Keleti J
- Issue date: 1980 Dec
- The effect of varying doses of cerebral irradiation on growth hormone production in childhood.
- Authors: Shalet SM, Beardwell CG, Pearson D, Jones PH
- Issue date: 1976 May