Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia: a light microscopical and ultrastructural study.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Withington Hospital, and the Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA case of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia developing a patient with treated diffuse lymphocytic lymphoma is described. The electron microscopic features and life cycle of the organism are illustrated. The patient died twenty-four hours after the biopsy had been taken. Septrin appeared to have affected the trophozoite stage. Pneumocystis carinii appears to induce interstitial pulmonary oedema and fibrosis. A discussion of the role of electron microscopy in early diagnosis of the disease is presented.
CitationPneumocystis carinii pneumonia: a light microscopical and ultrastructural study. 1981, 34 (10):1138-46 J Clin Pathol
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- Life cycle of P. carinii in the lung of immuno-compromised hosts: an ultrastructural study.
- Authors: Filice G, Carnevale G, Lanzarini P, Castelli F, Olliaro P, Orsolini P, Carosi G, Rondanelli EG
- Issue date: 1985 Oct
- Pneumocystis carinii: electron microscopic investigation on the interaction of trophozoite and alveolar lining cell.
- Authors: Yoshida Y, Matsumoto Y, Yamada M, Okabayashi K, Yoshikawa H, Nakazawa M
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in a thoroughbred foal.
- Authors: Tanaka S, Kaji Y, Taniyama H, Matsukawa K, Ochiai K, Itakura C
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Morphology of Pneumocystis carinii and activation of the plasmalemmal vesicular system in alveolar epithelial cells of the host. An ultrastructural study.
- Authors: Nielsen MH, Settnes OP
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- [Alveolar damage of pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in renal transplantation recipients].
- Authors: Chen CS, Zheng SL, Fang ZX, Li YP, Ye M, Zhang DQ, Xing LL, Chen SX
- Issue date: 2004 Mar