AffiliationImmunology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman natural killer (NK) cells separated initially by density centrifugation of lymphocytes (E+) forming rosettes with sheep red blood cells (SRBC), were further fractionated on gradients of bovine serum albumin (BSA). Low density fractions contained effector cells which displayed high cytotoxicity against the NK-sensitive erythroleukaemic cell line, K562. These low density cells, which expressed receptors for Fc and the monoclonal antibody OKMI, showed enhanced cytotoxicity when treated with lymphoblastoid interferon (IFN-alpha). They also showed an increased response to phytomitogen in comparison with unseparated cells or those recovered from high density fractions. Two lymphocyte subsets one of high and one of low lectin binding capacity were identified in the E+ populations by their reactivity with Lens culinaris agglutinin (LCA). High LCA binding was observed only in low density fractions and was associated with a marked enrichment of NK activity. This property was used to separate the NK active population in E+ cells by fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS). These data add a new dimension to the cell surface properties of human NK cells and suggest the presence of LCA-reactive glycoproteins which are either enriched in, or uniquely associated with, cells of the NK subset. The experiments indicate that lectins can serve as useful probes of lymphocyte function and provide the basis for effective cell sorting.
CitationLectin-binding characteristics of human natural killer cells. 1982, 46 (3):619-27 Immunology
- Induction of interferon-gamma production by human natural killer cells stimulated by hydrogen peroxide.
- Authors: Munakata T, Semba U, Shibuya Y, Kuwano K, Akagi M, Arai S
- Issue date: 1985 Apr
- Heterogeneity of human NK cells: comparison of effectors that lyse HSV-1-infected fibroblasts and K562 erythroleukemia targets.
- Authors: Fitzgerald PA, Evans R, Kirkpatrick D, Lopez C
- Issue date: 1983 Apr
- A monoclonal antibody (VEP10) against an antigen shared by human large granular lymphocytes, thymocytes and activated T cells.
- Authors: Rumpold H, Kraft D, Obexer G, Böck G, Möschl P
- Issue date: 1983 Jun
- Human killer cells and natural killer cells: distinct subpopulations of Fc receptor-bearing lymphocytes.
- Authors: Neville ME
- Issue date: 1980 Dec
- Interferon and prostaglandins: effects on human natural and lectin-induced cytotoxicity.
- Authors: Lang NP, Ortaldo JR, Bonnard GD, Herberman RB
- Issue date: 1982 Aug