Investigation of the effects of the phorbol ester TPA on carcinogen-induced forward mutagenesis to 6-thioguanine-resistance in V79 Chinese hamster cells.
AuthorsKinsella, Anne R
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract12-O-Tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate (TPA) was tested for its effect on N'-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG) induced forward mutagenesis to 6-thioguanine resistance (6TGR) in V79 Chinese hamster cells. Using a replating assay, no effect of TPA on the recovery of 6TGR mutants was observed. Previous reports of TPA enhancement of carcinogen-induced forward mutagenesis using the in situ mutagenesis assay, can be explained in terms of the influence of metabolic co-operation on mutant recovery. TPA is known to eliminate metabolic co-operation, an artefact of the in situ mutagenesis assay system, thus contributing to the enhancement of mutant recovery in TPA treated cultures. This investigation aims to demonstrate that TPA has no influence on mutagenesis per se, positive or negative enhancement of forward mutagenesis being solely a reflection of the mutagenesis assay employed.
CitationInvestigation of the effects of the phorbol ester TPA on carcinogen-induced forward mutagenesis to 6-thioguanine-resistance in V79 Chinese hamster cells. 1981, 2 (1):43-7 Carcinogenesis
- Effect of phorbol myristate acetate on the recovery of spontaneous and ultraviolet light-induced 6-thioguanine and ouabain-resistant Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Trosko JE, Chang CC, Yotti LP, Chu EH
- Issue date: 1977 Jan
- Antipain and 12-O-tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate: phenomenology of effects on UV mutagenesis in V79 Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Fujiwara Y, Tatsumi M
- Issue date: 1980 Nov
- Enhancement of recovery of chemical carcinogen-induced ouabain-resistant mutants in Chinese hamster cells by the tumor-promoting agent, 12-o-tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate.
- Authors: Lankas GR, Baxter CS, Christian RT
- Issue date: 1980 Dec
- Failure of the phorbol ester 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate to enhance sister chromatid exchange, mitotic segregation, or expression of mutations in Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Thompson LH, Baker RM, Carrano AV, Brookman KW
- Issue date: 1980 Sep
- Elimination of metabolic cooperation in Chinese hamster cells by a tumor promoter.
- Authors: Yotti LP, Chang CC, Trosko JE
- Issue date: 1979 Nov 30