Effect of pretreatment by feeding acetylaminofluorene on methylated purines formed in rat liver DNA after administration of dimethylnitrosamine.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMethylated purines were determined in the liver and kidney DNA of rats that had been pretreated for several weeks by inclusion of 2-acetylaminofluorene in the diet and then given single injections of N,N-dimethylnitrosamine. In comparison ith relevant controls the capacity to remove O(6)-methylguanine from the livers of the pretreated animals was enhanced but there was no evidence for a similar effect in kidney. No market effects of this pretreatment were observed for the removal of 3-methyladenine or 7-methylguanine. The data indicate that an inducing agent may affect the capacity of an animal to repair DNA which is subsequently damaged by another agent of chemically different identity. The mechanisms involved are not clear but potentially these observations have wide implications when organisms are exposed to a variety of chemicals.
CitationEffect of pretreatment by feeding acetylaminofluorene on methylated purines formed in rat liver DNA after administration of dimethylnitrosamine. 1981, 2 (4):329-42 Carcinogenesis
- Effect of acute doses of 2-acetylaminofluorene on the capacity of rat liver to repair methylated purines in DNA in vivo and in vitro.
- Authors: Cooper DP, O'Connor PJ, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1982 Oct
- Pretreatment with acetylaminofluorene enhances the repair of O6-methylguanine in DNA.
- Authors: Buckley JD, O'Connor PJ, Craig AW
- Issue date: 1979 Oct 4
- Increased excision of O6-methylguanine from rat liver DNA after chronic administration of dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Montesano R, Brésil H, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1979 May
- Methylated purines formed in DNA by dimethylnitrosamine in rats previously exposed to hepatotoxic and hepatocarcinogenic regimes: effects on the repair of O6-methylguanine.
- Authors: Cooper DP, Styles J, Bradbrook C, Charlesworth JD, Chu YH, O'Connor PJ, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1985 May
- Selective repair of methylated purines in regions of chromatin DNA.
- Authors: Ryan AJ, Billett MA, O'Connor PJ
- Issue date: 1986 Sep