Histochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of a cell line from human bone-marrow stroma.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology and Department of Ultrastructure, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMorphological, enzymic and antigenic data are presented regarding a human bone-marrow stromal cell line maintained for 10 months and subcultured weekly. The main characteristics are a fibroblastoid morphology, diffuse growth in collagen gels, no colony formation in soft gel media, contact inhibition of growth and conversion to adipocytes when treated with hydrocortisone. The cells are non-phagocytic and membrane Fc receptors (i.e. aggregated human immunoglobulin G receptors) are absent, but they show diffuse cytoplasmic non-specific esterase activity, a strong acid phosphatase reaction, and a negative immunofluorescence (direct and indirect) against factor VIII antigen. Other cell lines also have been isolated and maintained in culture and present similar characteristics. These cell lines are thought to be derived from the acid-phosphatase-positive marrow stroma directly associated with bone trabecular matrix and probably represent a component of the haemopoietic inductive microenvironment. As such, they may provide a useful tool for studies in vitro of cell interactions and regulatory processes in the control of human bone-marrow haemopoiesis.
CitationHistochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of a cell line from human bone-marrow stroma. 1981, 50:281-97 J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Clonal preadipocyte cell lines with different phenotypes derived from murine marrow stroma: factors influencing growth and adipogenesis in vitro.
- Authors: Lanotte M, Scott D, Dexter TM, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1982 May
- Differentiation of human bone marrow-derived fibroblastoid colony forming cells (CFU-F) and their roles in haemopoiesis in vitro.
- Authors: Kaneko S, Motomura S, Ibayashi H
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- Reticulo-fibroblastoid stromal cell progenitors (CFU-RF) in murine bone marrow.
- Authors: Ross WM, Peeke J, Hockey AJ, Polyak S, Izaguirre CA
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Adipogenesis in a myeloid supporting bone marrow stromal cell line.
- Authors: Gimble JM, Youkhana K, Hua X, Bass H, Medina K, Sullivan M, Greenberger J, Wang CS
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- Human bone marrow stromal cell colonies: response to hydrocortisone and dependence on platelet-derived growth factor.
- Authors: McIntyre AP, Bjornson BH
- Issue date: 1986 Oct