Effect of pretreatment of rats with N-methyl-N-nitrosourea on the repair of O(6)-methylguanine in liver DNA.
AuthorsMargison, Geoffrey P
AffiliationCarcinogenesis Department, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe capacity of rat liver to repair O6-methylguanine was determined by measuring the amounts of this base present in DNA after administration of N-[14C]methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU). Chronic pretreatment of animals with unlabelled MNU either once weekly for 5 weeks or daily on weekdays for 14 days had either no marked effect or inhibited (or overloaded) repair activity, respectively. Pretreatment of rats with single doses of MNU initially decreased O6-methylguanine repair but this effect was lost as the pretreatment interval increased and by 40 h, activity had returned to control values. Administration of methylmethanesulphonate for 14 days had no effect on the removal of O6-methylguanine produced in liver DNA by [14C]MNU. None of the pretreatment schedules inhibited the removal of 3-methyladenine from liver DNA. These effects are contrasted with those produced by pretreatment of rats with dimethylnitrosamine (DMN) or 1,2-dimethylhydrazine which enhanced the capacity of the liver to remove O6-methylguanine produced by single dose of [14C]DMN.
CitationEffect of pretreatment of rats with N-methyl-N-nitrosourea on the repair of O(6)-methylguanine in liver DNA. 1981, 2 (5):431-4 Carcinogenesis
- Stability and capacity of dimethylnitrosamine-induced O6-methylguanine repair system in rat liver.
- Authors: Montesano R, Brésil H, Planche-Martel G, Margison GP, Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- O6-methylguanine accumulates in DNA of mammary glands after administration of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea to rats.
- Authors: Cox R, Irving CC
- Issue date: 1979 Apr
- Enhanced repair of O6-methylguanine in liver DNA of rats pretreated with phenobarbital, 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, ethionine, or N-alkyl-N-nitrosoureas.
- Authors: Den Engelse L, Floot BG, Menkveld GJ, Tates AD
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Differential effects of procarbazine and methylnitrosourea on the accumulation of O6-methylguanine and the depletion and recovery of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in rat tissues.
- Authors: Valavanis C, Souliotis VL, Kyrtopoulos SA
- Issue date: 1994 Aug