A new water soluble derivative of 4,5'-dimethylangelicin as a potential agent for photochemotherapy.
Land, Edward J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA water soluble derivative of 4,5'-dimethylangelicin (I) having a long chain linking an amino group to the planar furocoumarinic moiety, that is 4'-N,N-dimethylaminoethoxymethyl-4,5'-dimethylangelicin (III), has been prepared. This compound is able to form effectively the intercalated complex with DNA like the previously prepared 4'-aminomethyl-4,5'-dimethylangelicin (II), however while the compound (II) showed very poor photobinding to DNA, the new derivative (III) shows high photobinding to the macromolecule. It is proposed that these data illustrate the importance of the geometry of intercalation for the subsequent covalent photobinding to the macromolecule. Also some photophysical data of (II) and of (III) appear to confirm the critical role of the position assumed by the chromophore of the two compounds when intercalated in duplex DNA. The compound (III) displays high photobiological effects, also in terms of antiproliferative activity as shown by its capacity to inhibit DNA and RNA synthesis in Ehrlich cells, the growth of an E. coli culture and the infectivity of T2 phage. (III) on the basis of these properties seems to deserve a clinical evaluation of its potential photochemotherapeutic activity in the treatment of psoriasis.
CitationA new water soluble derivative of 4,5'-dimethylangelicin as a potential agent for photochemotherapy. 1981, 36 (7):536-50 Farmaco Sci
JournalIl Farmaco; Edizione Scientifica
- Azapsoralens: new potential photochemotherapeutic agents for psoriasis.
- Authors: Vedaldi D, Caffieri S, Miolo G, Dall'Acqua F, Baccichetti F, Guiotto A, Benetollo F, Bombieri G, Recchia G, Cristofolini M
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Photochemotherapy of skin-diseases: comparative studies on the photochemical and photobiological properties of various mono- and bifunctional agents.
- Authors: Dall'Acqua F, Vedaldi D, Baccichetti F, Bordin F, Averbeck D
- Issue date: 1981 Jul
- Photochemical and photobiological properties of 4,5'-dimethylpsoralen, a bifunctional contaminant of synthetic 4,5'-dimethylangelicin.
- Authors: Rodighiero P, Guiotto A, Pastorini G, Manzini P, Bordin F, Baccichetti F, Carlassare F, Vedaldi D, Dall'Acqua F
- Issue date: 1981 Jul
- Some photochemical and photobiological properties of 8,8-desmethylxanthyletine (homopsoralen), a potential photochemotherapeutic agent.
- Authors: Vedaldi D, Dall'Acqua F, Averbeck D, Cundari E
- Issue date: 1988 May
- 7-Methyl and 4,7-dimethylallopsoralen: monofunctional photoreagents toward DNA as potential photochemotherapeutic agents in hyperproliferative conditions.
- Authors: Vedaldi D, Dall'Acqua F, Caporale G, Guiotto A, Baccichetti F, Bordin F, Pathak MA
- Issue date: 1983 Nov