Studies on ehrlich ascites tumour cells: DNA synthesis, and template activity of chromatin for DNA polymerase.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChromatin obtained from Ehrlich ascites cells on different days after cell inoculation has been assayed for its template activity with added DNA polymerase I. We have found that the template activity is 2 times higher in 7-8 day cell chromatin than in 4-day chromatin. Studies with added polylysine indicate that this increase reflects an increase in initiation sites rather than in accessibility to the enzyme. We have measured the growth fraction, mitotic index and rate of DNA chain growth in the intact cells. The results show that there is a large decrease in growth fraction with age of tumour, the number of cells dropping out of cycle approximately doubling over the period studied. The overall rate of chain growth decreases in the later stages of growth but in a small proportion of cells there is an increase in rate with fewer replicons involved in DNA synthesis. We suggest that in the ascites cells there is a decrease in level of repair and replicative enzymes with age of tumour; this would account both for the increase in initiation sites in the chromatin DNA, for the decrease in number of cells in cycle and for the overall decreased rate of chain growth.
CitationStudies on ehrlich ascites tumour cells: DNA synthesis, and template activity of chromatin for DNA polymerase. 1982, 49 (3):169-75 Mol. Cell. Biochem.
JournalMolecular and Cellular Biochemistry
- Study of the loosely bound non-histone chromatin proteins. Stimulation of deoxyribonucleic acid-templated ribonucleic acid synthesis by a specific deoxyribonucleic acid-binding phosphoprotein fraction.
- Authors: Kostraba NC, Montagna RA, Wang TY
- Issue date: 1975 Feb 25
- Inhibition of deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis in Ehrlich ascites cells by chloramphenicol.
- Authors: Freeman KB, Patel H, Haldar D
- Issue date: 1977 May
- DNA synthesis in isolated chromatin. Nature of activities, and relationship to kinetics of DNA polymerase release from chromatin DNA.
- Authors: Yagura T, Seno T
- Issue date: 1980 Jul 29
- Ehrlich ascites tumor (EAT) chalone effects on nascent DNA synthesis and DNA polymerase alpha and beta.
- Authors: Nakai GS
- Issue date: 1976 Nov
- Study of DNA synthesis in chromatin isolated from HeLa cells.
- Authors: Knopf KW, Weissbach A
- Issue date: 1977 Jul 12