Evaluation of radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations in human peripheral blood lymphocytes in vitro: result of an IAEA-coordinated programme.
Bianchi, N O
Brewen, J G
Buckton, K E
Gooch, P C
Mukherjee, R N
Natarajan, A T
Schwarzacher, H G
Van Buul, P P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe results of an IAEA coordinated programme on radiation induced chromosomal aberrations in human peripheral blood lymphocytes in vitro are presented. In a master experiment, a whole blood sample from one donor was irradiated with 200 R of X-rays. Different fixation times from 46 to 82 h were used. The progression of cells into mitosis was monitored by BrdUrd incorporation. 14 investigators took part in the scoring of chromosomal aberrations. The main conclusions of this study are: (1) The mean frequencies of aberrations changed with fixation time. (2) The number of cells scored as aberrant by different laboratories was very similar, but there was variability in the number of aberrations scored per aberrant cell. (3) The differences in the frequencies of aberrations between laboratories were minimal when the scoring was restricted to the first major peak of mitotic activity and sufficient cells were scored. It is concluded that using controlled experimentals conditions, human peripheral blood lymphocytes can effectively be used as a reliable biological dosimeter for absorbed radiation dose.
CitationEvaluation of radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations in human peripheral blood lymphocytes in vitro: result of an IAEA-coordinated programme. 1982, 96 (2-3):233-42 Mutat. Res.
- Effect of low-dose acute X-irradiation on the frequencies of chromosomal aberrations in human peripheral lymphocytes in vitro.
- Authors: Pohl-Rüling J, Fischer P, Haas O, Obe G, Natarajan AT, van Buul PP, Buckton KE, Bianchi NO, Larramendy M, Kucerová M, Poliková Z, Leonard A, Fabry L, Palitti F, Sharma T, Binder W, Mukherjee RN, Mukherjee U
- Issue date: 1983 Jun-Jul
- Adaptive response of human lymphocytes for the repair of radon-induced chromosomal damage.
- Authors: Wolff S, Jostes R, Cross FT, Hui TE, Afzal V, Wiencke JK
- Issue date: 1991 Sep-Oct
- Chromosome aberration analysis and the influence of mitotic delay after simulated partial-body exposure with high doses of sparsely and densely ionising radiation.
- Authors: Heimers A, Brede HJ, Giesen U, Hoffmann W
- Issue date: 2006 May
- [Chromosome aberrations of peripheral blood lymphocytes irradiated in vitro and cultivated under different conditions].
- Authors: Ivanov B, Todorov S, Mileva M, Georgieva I
- Issue date: 1977
- The radiosensitivity of chromosomes of rabbit lymphocytes.
- Authors: Léonard A, Gerber GB, Decat G, Léonard ED
- Issue date: 1977 Nov