Clonal preadipocyte cell lines with different phenotypes derived from murine marrow stroma: factors influencing growth and adipogenesis in vitro.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have isolated continuously growing cell lines derived from mouse bone marrow stroma. These cell lines were independently obtained, and though they showed morphologies ranging from the epithelioid to the fibroblastoid patterns, they all differentiated into adipocytes. Subclones obtained from two cell lines had a very high frequency (90-100%) of differentiation into adipocytes after two or three weeks of arrested growth. Though extensive accumulation of lipid often mechanically impaired mitosis, the cells committed to adipocytes did not suffer an irreversible loss of proliferative capacity. Adipogenesis was obtained in conditions similar to those required for fat cell formation in long-term bone marrow culture. The cell lines were found to be insensitive to insulin as a signal of adipocyte differentiation. The ultrastructural characteristics of the preadipocytes and fat cells are also similar to those of the fat cells developing in long-term bone marrow culture. As such, these cell lines should prove useful for analysing cell/cell interactions in haemopoiesis.
CitationClonal preadipocyte cell lines with different phenotypes derived from murine marrow stroma: factors influencing growth and adipogenesis in vitro. 1982, 111 (2):177-86 J. Cell. Physiol.
JournalJournal of Cellular Physiology
- Osteoblastic gene expression during adipogenesis in hematopoietic supporting murine bone marrow stromal cells.
- Authors: Dorheim MA, Sullivan M, Dandapani V, Wu X, Hudson J, Segarini PR, Rosen DM, Aulthouse AL, Gimble JM
- Issue date: 1993 Feb
- Histochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of a cell line from human bone-marrow stroma.
- Authors: Lanotte M, Allen TD, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1981 Aug
- Hematopoietic supportive functions of mouse bone marrow and fetal liver microenvironment: dissection of granulocyte, B-lymphocyte, and hematopoietic progenitor support at the stroma cell clone level.
- Authors: Friedrich C, Zausch E, Sugrue SP, Gutierrez-Ramos JC
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 1
- In vitro hemopoiesis within a microenvironment created by MC3T3-G2/PA6 preadipocytes.
- Authors: Kodama H, Sudo H, Koyama H, Kasai S, Yamamoto S
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- Cultured mouse marrow cell lines: interactions between fibroblastoid cells and monocytes.
- Authors: Zipori D, Friedman A, Tamir M, Silverberg D, Malik Z
- Issue date: 1984 Feb