The effects of growth hormone therapy in children with radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects of growth hormone (GH) therapy were studied in 6 children, previously treated for brain tumours which did not directly involve the hypothalamic-pituitary axis, and who had received cranial irradiation between 2.1 and 10 years earlier. All 6 were short with a standing height standard deviation score (SDS) from -1.7 to -3.3. Impaired growth hormone responses to an insulin tolerance test (ITT) were observed in all 6 and to a Bovril stimulation test in 5 children. The remainder of pituitary function was essentially normal. All 6 were prepubertal and 5 had a retarded bone age. During the pre-treatment year the 6 children's growth rates varied fom 2.0 to 5.1 cm. Subsequently all received human GH in a dose of 5 units 3 times weekly for 1 year. The growth rate in each was at least 2 cm greater during the treatment year than the pre-treatment year. Growth during the treatment year ranged from 6.0 to 10.1 cm. In 5 of the 6 the improvement in growth rate could be totally ascribed to the GH therapy. In the sixth there was significant pubertal maturation during the treatment year and only in this subject did the bone age advance at a significantly greater rate than the chronological age.
CitationThe effects of growth hormone therapy in children with radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency. 1981, 70 (1):81-6 Acta Paediatr Scand
JournalActa Paediatrica Scandinavica
- Treatment of radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency with growth hormone-releasing hormone.
- Authors: Ogilvy-Stuart AL, Stirling HF, Kelnar CJ, Savage MO, Dunger DB, Buckler JM, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1997 May
- Role of busulfan and total body irradiation on growth of prepubertal children receiving bone marrow transplantation and results of treatment with recombinant human growth hormone.
- Authors: Giorgiani G, Bozzola M, Locatelli F, Picco P, Zecca M, Cisternino M, Dallorso S, Bonetti F, Dini G, Borrone C
- Issue date: 1995 Jul 15
- Growth and hormonal status of children treated for brain tumours.
- Authors: Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1982
- Final height after combined growth hormone and gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogue therapy in short healthy children entering into normally timed puberty.
- Authors: Lanes R, Gunczler P
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Growth hormone secretion and response to growth hormone therapy after treatment for brain tumour.
- Authors: Lannering B, Marky I, Mellander L, Albertsson-Wikland K
- Issue date: 1988