Effects of matrix macromolecules on chondrocyte gene expression: synthesis of a low molecular weight collagen species by cells cultured within collagen gels.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Biochemistry, University of Manchester Medical School, Manchester, M13 9PT
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChick-embryo sternal chondrocytes have been cultured within three-dimensional collagen gels as part of a study concerned with the effects of extracellular matrix macromolecules on chondrocyte gene expression. Data are presented indicating that chondrocytes cultured within such a collagenous environment synthesize significantly more of an hitherto unidentified, low molecular weight collagen species than do cells grown on plastic tissue-culture dishes in the conventional manner. This low molecular weight collagen species contains noncollagenous domains (as indicated by its decreased molecular size after mild pepsin digestion), is distinct from the known collagen types (as judged by CNBr peptide analysis), and forms part of the insoluble collagenous matrix produced by the chondrocytes. Cells growing within the gel tend to form colonies consisting of a linear array of cells reminiscent of the cellular organization in growth cartilage.
CitationEffects of matrix macromolecules on chondrocyte gene expression: synthesis of a low molecular weight collagen species by cells cultured within collagen gels. 1982, 93 (3):767-74 J. Cell Biol.
JournalJournal of Cell Biology
- Identification and partial characterization of three low-molecular-weight collagenous polypeptides synthesized by chondrocytes cultured within collagen gels in the absence and in the presence of fibronectin.
- Authors: Gibson GJ, Kielty CM, Garner C, Schor SL, Grant ME
- Issue date: 1983 May 1
- Cartilage proteoglycan aggregate and fibronectin can modulate the expression of type X collagen by embryonic chick chondrocytes cultured in collagen gels.
- Authors: Thomas JT, Grant ME
- Issue date: 1988 Apr
- A comparison of the effects of different substrata on chondrocyte morphology and the synthesis of collagen types IX and X.
- Authors: Bates GP, Schor SL, Grant ME
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Characterization of the collagen synthesized by cultured cartilage cells.
- Authors: Handley CJ, Bateman JF, Oakes BW, Lowther DA
- Issue date: 1975 Apr 29
- Synthesis of a low molecular weight collagen by chondrocytes from the presumptive calcification region of the embryonic chick sterna: the influence of culture with collagen gels.
- Authors: Gibson GJ, Beaumont BW, Flint MH
- Issue date: 1984 Jul