Production of monocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor by preadipocyte cell lines derived from murine marrow stroma.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree preadipocyte cell lines that have been independently derived from bone marrow stroma (Lanotte et al, 1982) have been tested for their capacity to produce granulocyte, macrophage, and erythroid colony-stimulating factors (CSFs). All elaborated colony-stimulating material that was active upon adult mouse marrow granulocyte/macrophage colony-forming cells (M-CFC) but not foetal liver GM-CFC. The major activity was characterised as a monocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (M-CSF), and the pattern of colony stimulation was similar to that seen after addition of highly purified L-cell CSF. Furthermore, the stimulating activity was specifically neutralised by rabbit anti-L cell CSF antibodies. No evidence was found for stimulation of multipotential or erythroid colony-forming cells, only few granulocytic colonies were detected, and the stimulating activity had no mouse strain restriction. All cell lines produced large quantities of M-CSF; however, the production was found to be modulated during the adipogenesis process. A peak in M-CSF production corresponded to the period of growth arrest after confluence of the stromal cells was reached and when adipocyte maturation was at an early stage. A marked depression in M-CSF secretion was associated with the final steps of adipocyte maturation.
CitationProduction of monocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor by preadipocyte cell lines derived from murine marrow stroma. 1982, 112 (1):123-7 J. Cell. Physiol.
JournalJournal of Cellular Physiology
- Monocyte-conditioned medium and interleukin 1 induce granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor production in the adherent cell layer of murine bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Løvhaug D, Pelus LM, Nordlie EM, Bøyum A, Moore MA
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Effect of lipopolysaccharide on the production of colony-stimulating factors by the stromal cells in long-term bone marrow culture.
- Authors: Wang SY, Su CY, Hsu ML, Chen LY, Tzeng CH, Ho CK
- Issue date: 1991 Feb
- Homing efficiency and hematopoietic reconstitution of bone marrow-derived stroma cells expanded by recombinant human macrophage-colony stimulating factor in vitro.
- Authors: Jin-Xiang F, Xiaofeng S, Jun-Chuan Q, Yan G, Xue-Guang Z
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Clonal analysis of progenitor cell commitment of granulocyte or macrophage production.
- Authors: Metcalf D, Burgess AW
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- Constitutive production of colony-stimulating factors by human hepatoma cell lines: possible correlation with cell differentiation.
- Authors: Wang SY, Chen LY, Tsai TF, Su TS, Choo KB, Ho CK
- Issue date: 1996 Feb