Kinetics and mechanism of the reduction of ferricytochrome c by the superoxide anion.
AffiliationDepartment of Biophysical Chemistry, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, M20 9BX, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe temperature and pH dependence of the reaction of the superoxide radical anion with ferricytochrome c have been measured using the pulse-radiolysis technique. The temperature dependence of the reaction at low ionic strength yields an activation energy of 31 +/- 5 kJ/mol as compared to 14 +/- 3 kJ/mol for the reaction of CO2.(-) under the same conditions. The pH dependence fits the single pK'a of ferricytochrome c of 9.1. The bimolecular rate constant for the reaction of the superoxide anion with ferricytochrome c at pH 7.8, 21 +/- 2 degrees C, in the presence of 50 mM phosphate and 0.1 mM EDTA is (2.6 +/- 0.1) X 10(5) M-1 s-1. Using this value, 1 unit of superoxide dismutase activity (McCord, J. M., and Fridovich, I. (1969) J. Biol. Chem. 244, 6049-6055) is calculated to be 3.6 +/- 0.3 pmol of enzyme if the assay is performed in a total volume of 3.0 ml. Copper ions reduce the yield of the reaction of ferricytochrome c with CO2.(-). The reactivities of native and singly modified 4-carboxy-2,4-dinitrophenyllysine cytochromes c towards the superoxide anion radical are in the order native greater than 4-carboxy-2,4-dinitrophenyllysine 60 greater than lysine 13 greater than lysine 87 greater than lysine 27 greater than lysine 86 greater than lysine 72, indicating that electron transfer takes place at or close to the solvent accessible heme edge. The mechanism of the reaction is discussed in terms of the approach of superoxide anion radicals to the heme edge and the available molecular orbitals of both heme and free radicals.
CitationKinetics and mechanism of the reduction of ferricytochrome c by the superoxide anion. 1982, 257 (18):10747-50 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalJournal of Biological Chemistry
- Interaction between adrenodoxin and cytochrome c.
- Authors: Geren LM, Millett F
- Issue date: 1981 May 25
- Superoxide radical production during the autoxidation of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-2,3-dihydropyridinium perchlorate.
- Authors: Zang LY, Misra HP
- Issue date: 1992 Sep 5
- Ascorbate reduction of horse heart cytochrome c. A zero-energy reduction reaction.
- Authors: Myer YP, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1984 Jul 10
- The kinetics of the reduction of cytochrome c by the superoxide anion radical.
- Authors: Koppenol WH, van Buuren KJ, Butler J, Braams R
- Issue date: 1976 Nov 9
- Interaction of cytochrome c with the blue copper proteins, plastocyanin and azurin.
- Authors: Augustin MA, Chapman SK, Davies DM, Sykes AG, Speck SH, Margoliash E
- Issue date: 1983 May 25